Water leak

rogrog

Visit site
Yesterday Ramsgate Marina called me (and I'm greatful for this) to say air bubbles were coming out of the hull and they thought the boat was listing to port. I dashed down from London to find the fine mesh filter on bilge pump was blocked so air was being pumped out but not the water. Having cleaned the filter I tried to find the leak! Some hope I have hopefully established that its coming from the starbd engine raw water cooling but can not find where. There is a metal tray under the engine but no water is going in there, the exhaust hose and vetus muffler all appear dry and because it is clear water there is no water track marks. Can anybody suggest how I can find the leak or should I buy a wet suit? Thanks in anticipation

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
assuming it's sea water...it's coming thru a hole in the boat. The underwater holes in the boat are primary inlet, genny inlet (if any), bog outlets, log/depth sensors, aircon inlet if any, and the props (if a shaft-driven boat). With the amount of water comng through you should be able to see it or grope it with tissue paper. if the water is clear, with various poster paint colours stolen from the kids, you can bosh on various colours on each sterngland, and on each primary pipe connection, totally harmless, and soon find where it is coming from, praps?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BalmainBug

Visit site
Not really sure if I can help, but it's nice to know that Ramsgate are on the lookout for things like that (I berth there too).

We had a leak around the same area, but it was because we hadnt been tweaking our stern gland to keep the grease packed in nicely.

Live and learn!

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
Presumably you have some seacocks that you can close on all the skin fittings. If it still continues to leak with all seacocks closed then you have a dodgy skin fitting thats not sealed to the hull. Otherwise open them one by one and see which one causes the water to come in. It might take some time to stop leaking when you switch off a seacock if there's a lot of water above the point of the leak in all the hoses.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
you did confirm that the water was salt? I had this problem earlier this year and could not find the problem. I wrapped paper around all the pipes and fittings to see if that would reveal a drip, but nothing showed. Then I discovered that a deck fitting was not sealed correctly. I refitted it, and then there was no more water in the bilge!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>