Water in rudder

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Just been anti-fouling the rudder for my Swift 18, and noticed water dripping from a bolt hole where there is a shackle for the rudder raising line.
The rudder is hardwood, cased in GRP, and is obviously wet inside.
Advice please; do I need to worry, and if so, what to do?

Poignard

Visit site
Just been anti-fouling the rudder for my Swift 18, and noticed water dripping from a bolt hole where there is a shackle for the rudder raising line.
The rudder is hardwood, cased in GRP, and is obviously wet inside.
Advice please; do I need to worry, and if so, what to do?
I'd worry that the hardwood had turned into a soggy mass of wood pulp with no strength. I'd remove enough of the sheathing to be able to see inside and then, depending on what I found, decide what to do.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
First off drill a hole at the lowest part of the rudder and see if anything drips out. Drill a few test holes radiating from your original hole and see what you've got. Drill holes are very easy to refill neatly.
Anything further really depends on what you find. With luck you'll find solid wood and water will drip out of the bottom 'til it stops. Fill up the holes and carry on sailing. Oh over drill, epoxy fill and re-drill the original hole.

rob2

Visit site
Older rudders may have been sheathed in polyester resin which eventually loses its grip nb the wood and water will find its way in. If this seems likely in your case, I'd strip off the sheathing, let it dry and, if sound, rub it down and seal with epoxy resin hopefully preventing a future soaking. once the surface is sealed, sheath in cloth and epoxy. Finally paint over to epoxy to protect from UV degradation.

Rob.

billybiltong

Visit site
If it was me, I would let the water out by drilling a couple of holes. Lie it next to a radiator to dry out the rudder. Make a little "dam" out of masking tape. Warm some epoxy and pour in. Remember the epoxy will get hot as it cures. Rub down to a nice finish and hopefully your rudder is water free. I have some more pictures if required. Added weight works out at 1 litre equals 1kg. Ps I dried out my rudder for 2 months next to my wife's finest radiator in the dinning room!!!
IMG_0037.jpgIMG_0049.jpg

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Drilled two holes at base; no water emerging, but water still emerging around the bolt hole near the top.
The GRP flexes a bit there over a small area, so I will strip a small patch off on one side and investigate.
Radiator ready and waiting!

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Drilled two holes at base; no water emerging, but water still emerging around the bolt hole near the top.
The GRP flexes a bit there over a small area, so I will strip a small patch off on one side and investigate.
Radiator ready and waiting!

Likely that area has delaminated. . It might not be too bad, any damp in there likely would have frozen breaking the bond between wood and GRP. Hopefully nothing too serious. As already said, investigate further by drilling a couple of holes.