Water fresh

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Our water tank capacity is 60 gallons = 270 litres. We have been cruising in the Med since 2005, half of every year. From France to Greece we have never found the need for a watermaker and I do not recall a time when the tank was below 1/4 full. For the past few years we have had an additional 10 gallons (45 litres) in a bottle in the lazarette for a shower after swimming. Water is readily available throughout Mediterranean Europe and it doesn't take long to work out where. We do carry a couple of plastic water bottles for filling from taps in villages near anchorages.

Over many years of camping in wild places we have developed the skills of not using household quantities of water for everyday use. Thus our fairly limited storage of water lasts us at least 10 days, quite often more. We don't smell, wash our hair quite often, have perfectly clean crockery and cutlery. We simply use the minimum volume of water necessary.

shan

Visit site
Our water tank capacity is 60 gallons = 270 litres. We have been cruising in the Med since 2005, half of every year. From France to Greece we have never found the need for a watermaker and I do not recall a time when the tank was below 1/4 full. For the past few years we have had an additional 10 gallons (45 litres) in a bottle in the lazarette for a shower after swimming. Water is readily available throughout Mediterranean Europe and it doesn't take long to work out where. We do carry a couple of plastic water bottles for filling from taps in villages near anchorages.

Over many years of camping in wild places we have developed the skills of not using household quantities of water for everyday use. Thus our fairly limited storage of water lasts us at least 10 days, quite often more. We don't smell, wash our hair quite often, have perfectly clean crockery and cutlery. We simply use the minimum volume of water necessary.
I'm afraid, I couldn't do it.

Mr Shan & I drink roughly 6 litres of water a day, so 10 days = 60 litres. Making the assumption one got every drop of water out of the tanks, that would leave 21 litres a day for 2 showers each (normal routine, would be more if swimming because of hosing off with fresh water) not including hair washing (every day in warm weather and every 2nd or 3rd day in cold weather), washing of dishes and general cleaning.

I have concluded that a water maker is essential for Mr Shan and I.

geem

Visit site
We wouldnt be without our watermaker. We have 800l tank capacity but still use a watermaker. No need to skimp on water use. No need to carry water bottles about looking for water. We make 135 l/hr and use 40l/day on average including washing clothes and sheets. Lots of people tell me they manage fine but they spend lots of time getting water. Not for me. Better things to do. Our water tastes great and we dont have to lanudry bottled water to drink like others do. We drink straight from the tank. We also use a UV filter before we put the RO water in the tank.

heart of oak

Visit site

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I have only a 150lt tank in my 31' boat and carry two extra 20lt canisters full and copious lockers full of bottled mineral water for drinking, which get augmented whenever I provision. I have regularly cruised the Adriatic for 2-3 months without refilling the tank other than from the odd village tap by canister. True, I am nearly always single-handed so no complaints about my bad smell.

I swim regularly - many times a day when in a pleasant anchorage - and am a bit peculiar because I soap myself with seawater - I know, normal soaps don't lather - but it works in getting clean. And, even more peculiarly, always let the seawater dry on me after climbing aboard and brush the salt off - saves a lot of fresh water. But the secret weapon of water saving is no electric pump - foot-pumps only in heads and galley ... I really only use what water I need.

Dish-washing initially in saltwater with a final rinse in fresh works well, even with no saltwater tap in the galley - a bucket is an essential item for the cruising clochard that I am.

I did once fill the tank from a marina in Zadar and polluted it with what turned out to be very smelly water. I met others underway who had the same problem from the same source.

I once tried cooking pasta in seawater but sadly, it was just too salty. Maybe potatoes would work - must try that this year.

Last edited:

shan

Visit site
You sound like my wife, which is why I usually sail single-handed. Cannot understand it ... you ladies are sooo fussy :ambivalence: Propose a dream of a long Adriatic cruise and they change the subject ... weird.
Provide your wife with pressurised hot water, an auto flushing fresh water loo and a few other civilised amenities and she will go sailing with you as often as you like!:eek:

BrianH

Provide your wife with pressurised hot water, an auto flushing fresh water loo and a few other civilised amenities and she will go sailing with you as often as you like!:eek:
She used to for many years without complaint about the lack of such unnecessary and impracticable accessories. In fact, she was a fantastic crew and we once both took a sabbatical from our jobs to explore the entire Adriatic and part of the Ionian from our northern Italian base. Then we got married ...

shan

Visit site
She used to for many years without complaint about the lack of such unnecessary and impracticable accessories. In fact, she was a fantastic crew and we once both took a sabbatical from our jobs to explore the entire Adriatic and part of the Ionian from our northern Italian base. Then we got married ...
I think "she used to" is the clue. As we get slightly more mature in years we get to the point where we want our little bits of comfort. I guess you have a choice: continue to live like a caveman and sail alone or provide some comfort and have some fun with your wife. :p

BrianH

I guess you have a choice: continue to live like a caveman and sail alone or ...
Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep living in that primitive cave alone then, doing all the cooking in the blackened pot hung over the burning driftwood fire at the cave entrance, an' all [sigh]. And all because I won't fit an "auto flushing fresh water loo" - whatever that is.

[sotto voce] Yippee !

Last edited:
Visit site
I have a 300l capacity which lasts me two weeks if I'm not caring, or maybe 2.5-3 weeks if I'm conserving it a bit more.
Obviously the biggest use is showering or rising off after a swim, and in 37c heat in beautiful anchorages you often want to jump in more than once.

Finding water is always a massive pain. It was my biggest annoyance cruising last summer. If I had the spare cash I'd certainly get a watermaker. It's not more cost effective, but a damn sight more convenient, frees up your time for other things, and results in a much lighter boat. Outside of batteries, water is the weightiest item aboard.

Most marina's I've popped into for fuel didn't have water at the fuel pontoon. you then had to move again to a berth that may or may not be the correct size for you boat to fill up. €15 per 30mins was the going rate in Ibiza. Flow was purposely restricted too.

Some fuel pontons in marina's didn't offer water full stop. Siracusa is an example. Instead you are directed to a water fountain where you struggle with carrying 40kg back to your rib.

In Greece the town quays I've seen have water but you insert a €2 coin, with no indication that the machine is working or how much you get for that. That is if the quay isn't full anyway over the summer.