Washboard paint

AlexL

Visit site
bought a first 21.7 over 2020 lockdown, great fun little toy. the washboards have seen better days and I was going to replace with a homemade polycarbonate / acrylic one this winter, but didn’t get round to it. That’s stil the plan So Ive knocked up some new ply washboards, they only need to last a season or 2 and I don’t like varnishing or varnished finishes so thinking of painting. id like a tough finish that will handle being thrown around a bit and quite like that Matt / satin / plasticy look type of finish. Obviously for a season or 2 I could go with some standard dulux / screw fix external “weather-shield” type paint but has anyone got recommendations of anything else? (colour white or grey)

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
How about a Summery cream colour if you have any smooth masonry paint about. I did my shed and workshop in this during lockdown. So far ok.

geem

Visit site
Look at acrylic 2pack car paint from your local car paint supplier. It's very durable. If you tell them you want Matt finish they will do that for you. You will need to undercoat as well. Apply with Wickes gloss foam rollers. You can get an excellent finish that takes a lot of abuse. We did some of our internal woodwork a year ago around the companionway. It's very hard waring as you would expect since they paint cars with it

Gixer

Visit site
My old wooden washboards I coated in epoxy resin and then painted with Hammeright, lasted for years.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
bought a first 21.7 over 2020 lockdown, great fun little toy. the washboards have seen better days and I was going to replace with a homemade polycarbonate / acrylic one this winter, but didn’t get round to it. That’s stil the plan So Ive knocked up some new ply washboards, they only need to last a season or 2 and I don’t like varnishing or varnished finishes so thinking of painting. id like a tough finish that will handle being thrown around a bit and quite like that Matt / satin / plasticy look type of finish. Obviously for a season or 2 I could go with some standard dulux / screw fix external “weather-shield” type paint but has anyone got recommendations of anything else? (colour white or grey)

Whatever top surface you like, but I found the secret to making them last a little longer was using an epoxy primer first - I used a spray can...

Neeves

Visit site
It would be easier to simply go to an acrylic supplier with a pattern and have them cut while you wait. You already have there pattern the ply boards you want to paint. You now need to buy paint, apply, maybe 2 coats - simpler doing the job .... properly.

There is an acrylic supplier in, almost, every major town.

Job done.

Jonathan