Wash Boards

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
I've always wished there was a better way to close the companion than a couple of pieces of plywood, and the dangers of unsecured washboards have been pointed out a number of times.

I wonder how many people routinely fit the boards when at sea, and in what circumstances? Always at night? In fog? Only in heavy weather?

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
I agree that they can be secured and managed, but I would be interested to know how different people manage. Ours for example are only secure when the hatch is slid closed. How do others retain the boards independently?

When not fitted, its not easy to see where best to keep them so they could be fitted fairly quickly, but couldn't get lost overboard.

I guess the ideal entrance/exit would be easy to open from deck or below, and easy to close behind you so that keeping it closed isn't a hassle.

graham

Visit site
Only ever fit ours in a big following sea or if heavy rain is blowing in from astern.

Why would you fit them in fog or at night?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
There was a lot of fuss about about this post 79 Fastnet, and several patent locks were intro'd to allow washboards to be securely fastened from both inside or outsidfe ther cabin, so that they wouldn't fall out in the event of an inversion. All we did, on the boat I was sailing at the time (OOD34), was drill a small hole, top left, on the top wash board, and fit two clam cleats on the 'step', one inside. one outside. A line through the hole and cleated both sides would allow the boards to be fixed and released from either side. Seemed to satisfy RORC scrutineers.

Poignard

Visit site
My boat has doors. There is a single lower one, hinged horizontally, will close off the companionway to the height of the cockpit seats but is not too high to prevent people stepping over it. Above that are two doors hinged vertically.

I much prefer this convenient arrangement to washboards but if I ever did a long ocean trip I might be tempted fit a removable strongback behind them to prevent them being burst in by a heavy sea.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
Ours now has couple of 3" or 75mm brass bolts in both top and bottom board, small springs added to make bolts "self-closing", closing into holes drilled in the sides. Pull bolt back and turn to lock open and just flick to close.

Was added more for security than anything else as boat is on Windermere

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I've got doors and hate them. They get in the way of the instruments when open and completely shut people in below when closed. There is no halfway with doors. Also, on a boat like mine with no bridge deck, there is an obvious danger of any wave coming into the cockpit going straight down below.

I've just finished making a set of washboards.