Warsash Spring Series crew number

flaming

Visit site
We noticed in the NOR for the spring series that they have limited crew number to IRC cert. Not IRC cert + 2 as they have in previous years. We queried it with them, but they have confirmed it is not a mistake and is a result of feedback that they have received.

We're not especially happy with this, as going short course racing with a symmetrical kite is pretty difficult with only the cert number on board, and makes it very hard to bring new and inexperienced people into racing.

But clearly someone has requested this, I know there are some regulars here, what do people think, are we out on a limb with our views?

savageseadog

Visit site
We noticed in the NOR for the spring series that they have limited crew number to IRC cert. Not IRC cert + 2 as they have in previous years. We queried it with them, but they have confirmed it is not a mistake and is a result of feedback that they have received.

We're not especially happy with this, as going short course racing with a symmetrical kite is pretty difficult with only the cert number on board, and makes it very hard to bring new and inexperienced people into racing.

But clearly someone has requested this, I know there are some regulars here, what do people think, are we out on a limb with our views?

We have exactly the same problem. 38ft boat with a big rig and a crew number of 9, symmetrical kites. We're going for a sprit and oversize asymmetrics this year. And a new rating of course.

olly_love

Visit site
We may enter the new boat now ( Sj320) which has a crew number of 7 but 8 would be easier,

im assuming they have done it to try to stop the charter companies First 40 number is 10 and they sail with 12

flaming

Visit site
We may enter the new boat now ( Sj320) which has a crew number of 7 but 8 would be easier,

im assuming they have done it to try to stop the charter companies First 40 number is 10 and they sail with 12

Oh that's exciting news. Which SJ320 have you bought?

They say it's in response to feedback, just wondering if other regular competitors agree with them or not....?

olly_love

Visit site
We have bought Slingback now called Frank3 (cubed)
heavily modified for IRC work so will be interesting to see how we go.
It seems to be a weapon above 8 knots as we are now non overlapping and inhaulers, with prod for the zero and A5,

Sailing back on monday with it so should be intersting

olly_love

Visit site
yep we do rate quite low compaired to the 97s but go about the same speed,
cowes this year Slingback could get ahead upwind and beat them on the runs,

SJ will be interesting and they are very differently set up ( overlappers, different rudder, rig, internals, deck etc )

Fanatic

Visit site
Any other warsash regulars have any views on the crew number?

I also emailed the organisers to check that this is correct as it represents a significant change and received exactly the same response as you. It may make crew recruitment a little easier but as you say will make it more difficult to introduce less experienced crew to the boat. Additionally, if I get last minute cry offs the reduction in the number of crew permitted may make the difference between being able to race or not.

flaming

Visit site
This seems to be spreading. Royal Southern Summer series NOR has the same restriction.

We were unaware that clubs were considering this, and would have put our case against this quite strongly if we had been asked. I know others feel the same..

savageseadog

Visit site
As a point of interest I spoke to RORC Rating about the IRC crew number last year. They have a formula for it and it's non negotiable and non modifiable. Even though we have a 38ft boat with 12 bunks the limit is 9 and that's that. The Fastnet Race and presumably other RORC races are crew limit only.

flaming

Visit site
As a point of interest I spoke to RORC Rating about the IRC crew number last year. They have a formula for it and it's non negotiable and non modifiable. Even though we have a 38ft boat with 12 bunks the limit is 9 and that's that. The Fastnet Race and presumably other RORC races are crew limit only.

Yes. As I understand it, it’s basically hull size and displacement. Mostly to do with safety factors offshore. Nothing whatsoever to do with the number of people it actually takes to sail the boat. Which is why historically most inshore regattas relaxed it.
Someone is pushing this, I just can’t figure out why...

flaming

Visit site
Bit of a fundamental thing to change after the NoR perhaps?

Bit of a fundamental thing to change about a long running regatta to be honest... When it was noticed a fair few owners seem to have voiced their opinion and the change has been made. Seems sensible to me.