Want to move my 8 mtr boat with ouboard from Newhaven to join the canal network . Channel - Thames . Any quicker/ safer way . Grateful 1st timer .

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Suggest try Shipley transporting ; they are a sort of Broker who have other Transport companies on their books whom they put out all the enquiries made about transporting ; might mention that the longer you give for the job to be done the better the quotes will be (ie the transport companies can work your job in with other jobs on their books ; much will depend upon the craft keel specification etc : ie a bilge keel might fit onto a low loader with a lift on board

Visit site
What's the daft of your 8m boat? Much over 2'/60cm and I suspect that most of the canal network will be too shallow for it and few boats with less draft than that are suited to an open water passage from Newhaven to the Thames.
What's the daft of your 8m boat? Much over 2'/60cm and I suspect that most of the canal network will be too shallow for it and few boats with less draft than that are suited to an open water passage from Newhaven to the Thames.
Hi thanks for replying . It,s draft is 0.97 metres and it,s air draft is 2.44 metres ( whatever that is !? ) . Its a Norfol Knights Kent and i just bought it . I have zero experience so want to stay on canals before i set off on a world cruise !!!! . Would most appreciate any advice . Regards , Brad .

Visit site
Suggest try Shipley transporting ; they are a sort of Broker who have other Transport companies on their books whom they put out all the enquiries made about transporting ; might mention that the longer you give for the job to be done the better the quotes will be (ie the transport companies can work your job in with other jobs on their books ; much will depend upon the craft keel specification etc : ie a bilge keel might fit onto a low loader with a lift on board
Thanks for replying , do you have email address of Shipleys ? . Much appreciate help - this is all new to me , Brad

Tranona

Visit site
Hi thanks for replying . It,s draft is 0.97 metres and it,s air draft is 2.44 metres ( whatever that is !? ) . Its a Norfol Knights Kent and i just bought it . I have zero experience so want to stay on canals before i set off on a world cruise !!!! . Would most appreciate any advice . Regards , Brad .
I am afraid that boat is totally unsuitable for the canals. It is a seagoing sailing boat and is far to wide and high for the canal system. If you want to use the canals then buy a canal boat. Pottering on the canals is not a good basis for learning how to sail a boat such as you have bought.

Suggests you take a course on learning to sail yachts before even thinking about going to sea. Your boat is quite capable of coastal passages, but you need to find out what is involved, not least finding somewhere suitable to moor it.

bedouin

Visit site
I am afraid that boat is totally unsuitable for the canals. It is a seagoing sailing boat and is far to wide and high for the canal system. If you want to use the canals then buy a canal boat. Pottering on the canals is not a good basis for learning how to sail a boat such as you have bought.

Suggests you take a course on learning to sail yachts before even thinking about going to sea. Your boat is quite capable of coastal passages, but you need to find out what is involved, not least finding somewhere suitable to moor it.
It's worth pointing out that any boat on the inland waterways needs a "BSS" safety certificate and that can be difficult / expensive to obtain. Plus as Tranona points out a boat like that doesn't really work well on canals - the wrong shape.

The OP is probably better off seeking a sheltered coastal location to learn to handle / sail. e.g. Chichester Harbour

Gixer

Visit site
Just found the boat advert on Ebay. Needs some work but was well set up once with Radar, self tailing winches, liferaft, etc.
As said above would make a nice coastal hopper, from Newhaven you've got Brighton, Eastbourne, Shoreham. Not the most interesting coastline but fine for learning.