Walker Bay Discontinued

dartmoor

Visit site
I received a randam message from Walker Bay Inc as I must have been on their mailing list:

"This serves as a notification that Walker Bay Boats, LLC is discontinuing the production of the following products effective immediately: Genesis, Superlights, Walker Bay 8, Walker Bay 10, and Sailkits. We have removed the walkerbaydingies.com website and have redirected all pages to our current website Walker Bay - World Class Deluxe Rigid Inflatable Boats
We will continue to have replacement parts available for the next 5 years.
Walker Bay acknowledges the obligation to properly inform our dealers and customers. Walker Bay appreciates and values our business relationships and looks forward to your continued interest in our products. While we regret any inconvenience this announcement may cause, we are eager to supply your future product requirements with our world-class quality product lines."

Does anyone know why they have done this? I guess they weren't making money. 5 years is a very short commitment for spares. I was looking for a 8ft RID - but won 't now I think.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative? Looking for 8-10ft rigid dinghy with sail kit option and tubs for stability? Walker Bay seemed to fit the bill - but not sure now.

fredrussell

Visit site
I’ve always fancied a WB 8 or 10. They seem to have all the bases covered (except, obviously, the ability to pack small). I think if you own one with pvc tubes now is the time to upgrade them to hypalon.

dartmoor

Visit site
I’ve always fancied a WB 8 or 10. They seem to have all the bases covered (except, obviously, the ability to pack small). I think if you own one with pvc tubes now is the time to upgrade them to hypalon.

Absolutely. Those tubes are completely bespoke to WB - so once they are gone, they are gone.

Wing Mark

Visit site
Probably one of those things that looks better in a magazine than on the water?

I doubt the spares issue is too serious, I expect any rib-retubing firm could replace the tubes.

Visit site
I’m struggling to find a 10ft hard dinghy too and it does seem like there’s little other on the market than the Walker Bay 10. I feel like they’re expensive though and some say that they aren’t all that stable.

Kelpie

Visit site
Sad to see them go, unique product. I really liked the idea of a WB10 but they are heavy and expensive. I ended up building instead: cheaper, lighter, and fits my deck space perfectly but plywood is not as robust as plastic...

Visit site
Sad to see them go, unique product. I really liked the idea of a WB10 but they are heavy and expensive. I ended up building instead: cheaper, lighter, and fits my deck space perfectly but plywood is not as robust as plastic...

At 57kg, is there anything else 10ft that can be bought and is lighter?

Kelpie

Visit site

malindi

Visit site
I received a randam message from Walker Bay Inc as I must have been on their mailing list:

"This serves as a notification that Walker Bay Boats, LLC is discontinuing the production of the following products effective immediately: Genesis, Superlights, Walker Bay 8, Walker Bay 10, and Sailkits. We have removed the walkerbaydingies.com website and have redirected all pages to our current website Walker Bay - World Class Deluxe Rigid Inflatable Boats
We will continue to have replacement parts available for the next 5 years.
Walker Bay acknowledges the obligation to properly inform our dealers and customers. Walker Bay appreciates and values our business relationships and looks forward to your continued interest in our products. While we regret any inconvenience this announcement may cause, we are eager to supply your future product requirements with our world-class quality product lines."

Does anyone know why they have done this? I guess they weren't making money. 5 years is a very short commitment for spares. I was looking for a 8ft RID - but won 't now I think.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative? Looking for 8-10ft rigid dinghy with sail kit option and tubs for stability? Walker Bay seemed to fit the bill - but not sure now.

malindi

Visit site
I am looking to buy a Walker Bay 8 but nobody appears to have any stock in the uk

Anybody any idea where i could buy new or secondhand especially as the have discounted the prices

Kelpie

Visit site
120kg according to the website! They do seem pretty tough though. Cheaper than an equivalent sized RIB as well.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
There's one on ebay at the moment - Walker Bay 8. I tried one years ago and was not impressed, heavy, low freeboard and expensive - but I do like the tubes.