Waiting to head south?

Tim Good

Visit site
So I'm in Plymouth and waiting for some sort of window to head down and across Biscay. Never done it before and fairly short handed so want a window that's reasonably large. At the moment the forecast is terrible and SW dominates with strong blows and swells hitting Biscay. Was hoping for a settle semotember which we often get.

My big issue is that I have to be back in the UK for October 5th - 22nd for meetings. If a window does not present itself and I'm left attempting to cross at the back end of October, does anyone know what the passages are likely to be like to be like down Portugal and then on to the Canaries in late October and early November?

GHA

Visit site
Once round St Vincent it should be fine down to Canaries , just anchor up and wait for a weather window . Down to there might be a bit different though..

Have you seen fastseas?
https://www.fastseas.com

Makes quick weather planning a lot easier though looks like you have to pay after a few goes now.

Sunday looks like it might be worth a look?

Pilot charts for opencpn available here as well if you don't have them already .
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/pilotcharts.html

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
In my experience of doing this several times if you wait for a long window you may wait for ever. Suggest you will get a window sufficient to get past Ushant down Channel du Four quite frequently. Then go south along coast of France as far as you can. Hold up again in one of many French harbours if you have to then you will only need a shorter window to cross Biscay and get south to go down Portuguese coast. The more south you get the better the likelihood of better warmer weather and a suitable window.

dom

Visit site
The short-term openings depend a bit on fuel-capacity/motoring-speed and upwind ability. If both good, I'd agree with GHA and would personally head off late Sunday. Then motor deep into Biscay until the wind returns from the SE, after which it should be a fetch to La Coruna, or wherever you want to go.

Sailing late season is not a prob weather wise as forecasts so good today, but one does need them at this time of year. Wld personally recommend carrying a sat phone to stay in touch even for the three days or so it will take.

Happy sailing!

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I found a window to get back, so by definition, it must be rubbish for going!
There are a few Brit boats hanging around Brittany at the moment waiting to go to Spain, but most are getting there by going round the Bay.
You can get lucky and find a window to go direct this time of year but you have to be ready to go when they occur and not be restrained by meetings etc.

Tim Good

Visit site
Ok an executive decision has been made! We're going to leave the boat for winter around Dartmouth (which I really love) and then move on south in April taking more time to enjoy France, Spain and Portugal which I never sailed to before. Then have more time to enjoy a Canaries and Cape Verde and maybe The Gambia also.

Decision made. Now to plan for winter adventures and skiing!!!

Thanks for he advice though.

dslittle

Visit site
Ok an executive decision has been made! We're going to leave the boat for winter around Dartmouth (which I really love) and then move on south in April taking more time to enjoy France, Spain and Portugal which I never sailed to before. Then have more time to enjoy a Canaries and Cape Verde and maybe The Gambia also.

Good choice. Loads to see on the way. Far too many nice places to miss. Chill out and enjoy

GHA

Visit site
Probably a good call, I wintered onboard in Dartmouth couple years ago, lovely, good chandler & cheap! Wet and windy though. Looking at the log did Biscay 23rd April last year.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Unless you spend forever you will always have to miss out some places. In recent years I have twice been as far as Nantes before heading to Spain. Both times we spent nearly three weeks and, apart from L'Aber'Wrach (sp), the second trip stayed in different ports. I can still think of many places I would like to go to. We spent four weeks in Spain between Gijon and Camarinas/Muxia. We could easily have spent more - and that's only some of the North Rias. The Rias Bajas are even bigger.

Top tip. You can get calor propane cannisters topped up in A Coruna and Vigo (about €6) so if you can wait that long you can get a long way south before switching (where it is cheaper to do so).