VPN

MiracleMaud

Visit site
I know this has been asked a million times already, so apologies in advance. But, could I ask the collective which vpns they use? In particular, I am interested in connecting to UK servers from abroad. Ideally, I would also like something that would allow the same account to be utilised on both laptop and iPad.

Many thanks in anticipation.

BrianReynolds

Visit site
HI
I have VPNUK and it works fine for me on both laptop and iPad. Dual accounts allowed. I found the intial set up a bit confusing but they have good instructions and online help.

http://vpnuk.net/

or Google VPNUK

Brian

westernman

www.devalk.nl
We use sshd on the server (available on any Linux box) and bitvise tunelier (http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier) on the Windows client machines and set up port forwarding for the services which are available in the office network to enable encrypted access from the Windows machines wherever they might be. Bitvise tunelier also provide servers for Windows servers. Set up is very easy. This set up allows local access for any server for which you set up the client to server port forwarding in your client. This enables remote checkout using svn for instance, and ability to connect to a remote desktop with VNC. We use public/private keys for the connection. I.e. ssh login is disabled. This makes things reasonably secure.

To enable a real interconnected office network we will be moving to OpenSwan using IPSEC on the Windows road warriors and OpenSwan on the other servers in remote locations at a later stage.

MiracleMaud

Visit site
We use sshd on the server (available on any Linux box) and bitvise tunelier (http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier) on the Windows client machines and set up port forwarding for the services which are available in the office network to enable encrypted access from the Windows machines wherever they might be. Bitvise tunelier also provide servers for Windows servers. Set up is very easy. This set up allows local access for any server for which you set up the client to server port forwarding in your client. This enables remote checkout using svn for instance, and ability to connect to a remote desktop with VNC. We use public/private keys for the connection. I.e. ssh login is disabled. This makes things reasonably secure.

To enable a real interconnected office network we will be moving to OpenSwan using IPSEC on the Windows road warriors and OpenSwan on the other servers in remote locations at a later stage.

Was that English? I think your solution requires more geekery than I possess, but many thanks nonetheless. :)

CurdleMusc

Visit site
I know one VPN that could be access on PCs and mobiles - www.primovpn.net/UK-vpn.aspx

Hope it'll help you. :)

I know this has been asked a million times already, so apologies in advance. But, could I ask the collective which vpns they use? In particular, I am interested in connecting to UK servers from abroad. Ideally, I would also like something that would allow the same account to be utilised on both laptop and iPad.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Merner24

Visit site
Express VPN service is the best vpn 2017. They have 145+ VPN servers in around 100 countries and I think it offers fastest internet connection as they have no bandwidth or speed limitations. I would highly suggest that.

jdc

Visit site
Why would you want to? Of course, if you're a terrorist or kiddie-fiddler then they're just what you need. Or you could be evading the restrictions imposed by international copyright or broadcast funding rules (such as watching BBC iPlayer when not a UK resident or licence fee payer), but what legit reason could one have? If you're worried about having your ip address or location kown by the web-site you're visting due to a desire to retain privacy, don't forget that the vpn supplier will himself be snooping on you, and see all your traffic so is doing an even more intrusive job on you. I also have a reason to particularly dislike them as I host a web server running Apache2 and desire to block access from certain ip addresses and locations because these addresses and locations have made repeated attempts to carry out criminal cyber attacks, and vpn services are designed to help such hackers,. (Although I'm sure that's not your motive).

This should not be confused with running VPNs from within a company to access its data which is perfectly legit. It's not fooling anybody about where the connection is coming from, nor the the identity of the client - it's into our own servers from an already trusted PC.

Last edited:

langstonelayabout

Visit site
I'm one of the many that uses Express VPN to access UK media services from places that may not be within the UK...

It is about 10$USD a month but enables me to watch UK television which is vital to retention of marbles in this part of the world. Besides, Call the Midwife and Sanditon are essential viewing, are they not? :)

Norman_E

Visit site
I have used TunnelBear, but the free version is quite limited. Nordvpn do a very cheap three year deal. It is fine on Windows but there is no easy way to use it on Linux because it has no Linux GUI.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
At the moment, we use computer HDMI to TV and TransponderTV for live or recorded programs @ £6.50 p.m. Connections for all devices pcs and androids are through mobile router. Would using a vpn allow connection of all or just one device? Have thought about using one as downloading torrents should then be anonymous.

Upnorth

Visit site
If you have an internet connection available back in the UK then an easy solution to getting access to a UK IP address is to setup a proxy service on your home computer. This will then route all traffic via your UK internet service. This can be useful to get online banking services from some banks/building societies which retrict access to UK IP addresses only.
Suitable software is CCProxy from youngzsoft.net This is free for non commercial users. You do need access to a computer in your home and it needs to be powered up all the time.
I think it is possble to do something similar directly within your router, but I am not clever enough to have figured out how.

[176172]

Visit site
I have used TunnelBear, but the free version is quite limited. Nordvpn do a very cheap three year deal. It is fine on Windows but there is no easy way to use it on Linux because it has no Linux GUI.
+1 for Nord, great 3 year deal simple to use