VP290 Oil

Corky

Visit site
I've had conflicting information on which oil I should put in my 1994 VP290 duoprop outdrive legs. Both advisers were professionals but it's left me confused. One advised mineral SAE90 Gl-5 and the other advised TRX Synthetic 75W90. To my mind they're very different oils. I'm not even sure why I can't use Gl-1 fluid. Can anyone shed any light on this please, and advise of a cost effective supplier in the Solent area.
Many thanks in advance.

Corky

Visit site
Hard to tell the difference between the DP varieties. This is what they look like if that's any help? They look like AQ290-DP to me?
1580768006207.jpeg

Momac

Visit site
Looking at the cones on the props, hydraulic trim rams and shape of the top of the outdrive case doesn't that make them DP-C or later ?
I agree the differences are not easy to spot.

These for comparison are DP-E

springer

Visit site
Hi, These are post the change where the drive no longer had the stainless steel inner hanging frame attached to the trim rams, therefore these drives should be filled with synthetic, API GL-5, 75W-90 gear oil.

There is a very useful poster describing the VP changes to the older drives over the years including oil types. It has a VP publication number of 7738236 Dec 2006, not sure if this can be found outside the VP dealer network.

BruceK

Visit site
API GL-5, 75W-90 gear oil.

There is a very useful poster describing the VP changes to the older drives over the years including oil types. It has a VP publication number of 7738236 Dec 2006, not sure if this can be found outside the VP dealer network.

What he said. I have the file. To put your mind at rest all the DP-B1 right through to DPX -(x) take the same oil as above

CLB

Visit site
Hard to tell the difference between the DP varieties. This is what they look like if that's any help? They look like AQ290-DP to me?
View attachment 84554

These are definitely not 290DP. They are either DPD, DPD1 or DPE drives and should use the 75W90 GL5 fully synthetic oil.

I do, however, think there is something not quite normal with that set up. I have DPD myself and had DPE on my last boat, and neither had the big rubber pad at the top of the transom shield. I am wondering if you have a mix of parts.

BruceK

Visit site
You may prefer to use the Volvo Penta branded oil which allegedly includes some magic fairy dust additives …..

I'm a great believer in magic fairy dust. I've seen enough milkshake drives emptied, refilled and go on living like not much at all had happened and if it wasn't magic oil it must have been magic metal.

Momac

Visit site
I understand fully synthetic gear oils can typically tolerate higher water concentrations compared to mineral oil.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi
They are defo 290’s. 75/90 and GL5 gear oil. About 3l or just over from memory.
just as important is making sure you don’t nip or dislodge the seals. Commonly done. To the point where I used to also put the mercury fibre seals on too, then silicone over each year. Never had water in after that.