VP D6's stuck in'Limp Mode'

Lady Sally

Visit site
I have 2 x TAMD63P - A in my wondeful Pearl 43 (circa 2003) I have an ongoing problem with both engines stuck in 'Limp Mode' /Safe Mode. Starting and reving engines to their full extent in neutral on the mooring - no problem. Moving off and getting under way under load up to around 1500 rpm - no problem, after that it is not possible to increase throttle leaving me with about 8 kts to get me out of trouble. The engines are controlled by EC Control, but I have changed both EC control units - no change. Throttle cables changed and actuators checked - no problem. Engineers scratching their heads - so any experiences or ideas very very welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

n.herring

Visit site
I doubt very much that it is an engine fault, why would it happen to both at exactly the same time. You sure your bottom is not covered in weed and barnacles.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I have 2 x TAMD63P - A in my wondeful Pearl 43 (circa 2003) I have an ongoing problem with both engines stuck in 'Limp Mode' /Safe Mode. Starting and reving engines to their full extent in neutral on the mooring - no problem. Moving off and getting under way under load up to around 1500 rpm - no problem, after that it is not possible to increase throttle leaving me with about 8 kts to get me out of trouble. The engines are controlled by EC Control, but I have changed both EC control units - no change. Throttle cables changed and actuators checked - no problem. Engineers scratching their heads - so any experiences or ideas very very welcome. Thanks!

Tile of post D6 stuck in gear , then you said yo7 have the older 63p engines , so what engines do you have as the 63 is a pure mechanical engine . It sound like you have possible turbo wastegate issues or fuel injection pump problems.

Lady Sally

Visit site
Greetings from sunny Jersey! I have just had a full service on both of my TAMD63p engines which run wonderfully on the mooring right to the extent of the throttles (3000 rpm) No problem! Then under load BOTH engines will not rise above 1500 rpm (limp mode) These are mechanical engines controlled by EC Control. The fault is NOT the ECU's as I have exchanged them with several other (new) units - no change! There is a suggestion that the interccoolers need a clean but that (apart from breaking the bank) would not cause BOTH engines to manifest the same fault (starboard engine trys to spool up further but drops again. Another suggestion is that there maybe a problem with the fuel sytem, lifter etc. Any of you guys out there had a simular problem or any further suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Stay Safe!

joae

Visit site
TAMD 63 doesnt have Limp mode as they are mechanical to my understanding. Does your EC control have limp mode?
My guess is that the problem lies in cabling and/or sensors. Strange to affect both engines at the same time. Look for part in the system that is shared (power supply?)

Portofino

Visit site
Basics , Hull + stern gear hygiene .
What state are they in particularly the props ?
When was the last time before this it was up on the plane behaving itself?

Reactions: vas