VP 280 Lifting mech query

symondo

Visit site
Ive not really got a clue how these work

Firstly - it is an electric actuator or hydraulic?

Is it part of the Transom shield or part of the drive itself?

We have 1 leg which goes up and down but it doesn't seem to lock down all the time when going into reverse. I remember another thread about this a while back, wondered if anyone could shed some light on the workings of it and is this something i can look at while its in the water?

Peanuts

Visit site
Hi

The lifting part is done with an electric motor on the inside transom shield, it's a real simple system, never had any problem with mine for 18 years. regarding the lock down when going into reverse, you need to look at the reverse latch mechanism, there are 2 outer springs which are normally OK however the one giving you the problem is the smaller coil spring which is either broken or missing. I used to strip mine down each year to inspect. Although I have replaced one of these springs in the water I would recommend done out of the water especially for the first time.

symondo

Visit site
Hi

The lifting part is done with an electric motor on the inside transom shield, it's a real simple system, never had any problem with mine for 18 years. regarding the lock down when going into reverse, you need to look at the reverse latch mechanism, there are 2 outer springs which are normally OK however the one giving you the problem is the smaller coil spring which is either broken or missing. I used to strip mine down each year to inspect. Although I have replaced one of these springs in the water I would recommend done out of the water especially for the first time.

would these springs have be connected if the drives have been off? We had them reconditioned to new and refitted so trying to asertain wether this is a fitting issue or a separate item which we should of had checked out in the process of fitting the leg. it probly happens 3 out of 10 times of selecting reverse

Peanuts

Visit site
You would not be touching the reverse lock mechanism when installing the outdrive apart from checking it all works correctly when finished, there is an adjustable rod to check clearance, although I never had to adjust mine over 18 years. Was the reverse latch mechanism removed and stripped down when the leg was removed? It has been known for the nylock nuts holding the pawls on to be tightened up preventing the movement of them, they should be tighten then slacken slightly to allow movement, there should also be a shim under the pawl. Of course if the small spring is missing it won't work correctly anyway.

oldgit

Visit site
99% of the drives were electro mechanical.
Just before the change over to the 290 a few outdrives used a twin hydraulic ram system.
This was identified with a T ie. 270T or 280T possibly for Trim ?

It used a different transom assembly casting with extra bits to accommodate the hydraulic cylinders.
Everything else was virtually the same.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Ive not really got a clue how these work

Firstly - it is an electric actuator or hydraulic?

Is it part of the Transom shield or part of the drive itself?

We have 1 leg which goes up and down but it doesn't seem to lock down all the time when going into reverse. I remember another thread about this a while back, wondered if anyone could shed some light on the workings of it and is this something i can look at while its in the water?

Is it standard 280 sp or power trim model, if your not sure do you have a display on the dash that ranges from minus 5 to plus 6 then a beach button, if not then you don't have power trim you just have a tilt motor that winds a rod through the shield to lift the leg.

If the leg kicks up in reverse then the linkage is set wrong which means you may have to have the boat out the water to set it up or investigate why it's not locking in. I though you had the legs reconditioned which should have worked after this.

symondo

Visit site
Is it standard 280 sp or power trim model, if your not sure do you have a display on the dash that ranges from minus 5 to plus 6 then a beach button, if not then you don't have power trim you just have a tilt motor that winds a rod through the shield to lift the leg.

If the leg kicks up in reverse then the linkage is set wrong which means you may have to have the boat out the water to set it up or investigate why it's not locking in. I though you had the legs reconditioned which should have worked after this.

I believe they are the standard drives as we just have an up and down with a light which comes on when they are up.

I remember seeing the rod when the legs were off but wasnt sure wether it was hydraulic or electrical.

Yes the legs were refurbed and then refitted, we did wonder if this issue would be something from the refurb, something from the fitting or an additional issue we hadnt known about. As mentioned its not all the time just occaisonally, but usually when needed trying to moor up naturally.