VP 2003 earthing stud

kalanka

Visit site
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the ring terminal at the engine block end for the heavy negative/earth wire that runs from the alternator to a bolt or stud on the VP 2003engine block? Does that stud/bolt have any other function - can I loosen it without something else shifting? Thanks

scottie

Visit site
Can’t remember regarding the earth connection location but there were several variations on earthing on 2000 series some were insulated earth and adding an earth strap could cause serious problems and even a hybrid earth system
best check first

Pete7

Visit site
The original wire on our 2003 ran from the alternator to the starboard forward engine mount. Then another cable from the rear port engine mount to a bus bar. I didn't like the look of the alternator negative when I replaced the alternator a couple of years ago. Wire at best 6mm and in poor state. So removed that and ran the alternator negative using 25mm cable straight to the main negative bus bar. Retained the original port side wire to the bus bar as there is only one wire going to the engine temperature sender. The return must be via the engine block.

The port rear mounting bolt could be either 8 or 10mm. This is for a gearbox and shaft drive, sail drive may be different.

Pete

Attachments

• VP.jpg
    VP.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 4