VOR yacht aground!!

taifun

Visit site
All other yachts passed Cargagos Carajos well to the west. Vestas navigated very close to the shoal, in darkness, trusting a survey from 1846!

Seajet

Visit site
Please do not put that other name in the same sentence as Anderson...:)

The A22 may be good, but until I can get my chums still at BAe to slide me a Pegasus engine I think I'll at least try to keep to the watery bits.

Firefly

Visit site
Looks like their problem was they were relying on technology that itself relied on technology from well before 1900......

st599

Visit site
All safely off and in a fisherman's shack. Presumably Volvo now have to work out how to get them back.

prv

Visit site
This is the key screen shot of the charting they had. I have boxed in red the SART vessel position. Looks like the charts were 'accurate enough'.

Oh, wow!

I think a number of us were assuming that the position of the reef was a few miles out due to the age of the original survey (the Navionics version has some quaint-sounding notes like "a little fresh water by digging" presumably taken from a 19th-century chart). And thinking they were somewhat foolish to pass close to the charted position at night, as if they were in European waters where everything is accurately charted to within a few centimetres.

But to sail right into it when it's correctly charted - how does a fully-crewed professional racing boat screw up that badly?

Pete

sailorman

Visit site
Oh, wow!

I think a number of us were assuming that the position of the reef was a few miles out due to the age of the original survey (the Navionics version has some quaint-sounding notes like "a little fresh water by digging" presumably taken from a 19th-century chart). And thinking they were somewhat foolish to pass close to the charted position at night, as if they were in European waters where everything is accurately charted to within a few centimetres.

But to sail right into it when it's correctly charted - how does a fully-crewed professional racing boat screw up that badly?

Pete

No doubt all well qualified too. :sleeping:

st599

Visit site
Oh, wow!

Pete

According to the interview on the VOR Facebook feed, it's only apparent at one zoom level.

The pilot book does say it could be upto 3 miles longer than charted.

andymcp

Visit site
It's easy to speculate on blame from afar, but given its a many-mile-long known (and charted) hazard that the 4 boats in front all changed course to avoid (including one tweeting that they had to make a last minute swerve to avoid) it does seem odd that they still managed to hit it. Glad all are safe - hitting anything at night while doing 15+kts must be a very unpleasant experience. Can't help but think that after 9 days and nights on a fully powered up ocean race boat, effectively match racing for all of that time, with only 8 crew fatigue must have been a part of it. Harsh outcome regardless of the cause, those boys must be absolutely devastated. :(

Seajet

Visit site
andymcp,

I'm sure you have at least most of it right there, I always say ' it's not rocks, fog or big waves that'll get you, it's fatigue '.

However PRV has a point, for that course they needed a RangeRover !

Spyro

Visit site
Incredible saying that you could only see the reef at zoom level 1. Surely if you know they are there then zoom level one is what you would be using. It's all very well saying that everyone is safe and no one is injured but I'll bet there is one mighty pissed off skipper.