Volvo TAMD41A Aftercooler Housing and Cover.

bowler

Visit site
Hello all,

Yesterday I stripped my starboard after cooler as it was leaking air from the drain plug area in the hope of finding some lost rpm and reducing black smoke from the engine at high rpm.

There has been some welding around the drain plug area (see pic) on the housing and the orange seal was missing. I cleaned the core and housing and replaced the seals and the orange drain plug seal fitted in the gap shown and seemed to make contact with the core when it was inserted. I haven't had a change to run it yet to see if that worked and overall the job was pretty easy (apart from snapping the drain plug when reinserting but that should be easy enough to extract when I pull it apart again).

20190219_122936.jpg

The most awkward part was reconnecting the copper pipe to the top of the housing. Am i right in thinking that there is a newer top cover that eliminates the copper pipes? I see that a replacement housing and conversion kit exists but if the housing holds up can the top cover and pipework be replaced without buying the whole housing? Either way, how does the new pipework install?

I may need the whole housing anyways due to the previous repair job but am keen for a cheaper option initially if the reinstated seal does the job.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Mr Googler

Visit site
If the orange seal was missing, you have defo found the air leak source!

One of the side casing bolts on mine had snapped and the corner opened up under boost so even a little gap will dump all the pressure. Be super careful getting the snapped drain bolt out. The bolt and the core are soft metals. A new core will make your eyes water cost wise!

Can’t help on the top cover I’m afraid.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
There is a plastic cover available with 2 rubber hoses .

The hole you are referring to is quite correct , it is there to drain down moisture so do not weld it up or block it up as this will cause the salt water matrix bottom part to corrode away .

bowler

Visit site
Thanks Paul. No welding near the smaller hole.

I think i see the plastic cover on the volvo parts website for around 90 euros. The hoses are nearly 100 euros each. That hurts. What's to stop someone cutting the existing pipework and adding shorter lengths of hose that dont cost the earth?

D.