Volvo stern gland grease

SimbaDog

Visit site
I have Volvo stern gland, type you burp. Was going to use a straw to put a little grease in the lips but am struggling to buy any! Chandler has just told me it's standard waterproof grease?

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Go to a chandler that sells Volvo Penta parts. My local chandler ordered some for me during last winter. It was in a small tube and quite cheap. I don't have the part number to hand, its on the boat and I wont be there this weekend. Pirates Cave in Rochester got it for me, I'm sure they would get it and post it to you if you asked. They sell on line as well as from the shop.

VicS

Visit site
I have Volvo stern gland, type you burp. Was going to use a straw to put a little grease in the lips but am struggling to buy any! Chandler has just told me it's standard waterproof grease?

This the stuff you want? About 2/3 way down the page

http://82.197.226.21/vpac/default.aspx?language=en&id=6904&sn=

Or perhaps Ramonol white grease available from most chandlers http://www.gruebb.com/search_ptype.php?prodtype=274&catid=33&cat=

But should you put grease on it?

Last edited:

RivalRedwing

Visit site
It might be more hassle but I would only use the recommended product - not all greases and rubbers mix well together and on a fairly critical item like a shaft seal I would stick with what the manufacturer/supplier recommends. I now fully expect to be shot down in flames by a spate of messages by people who have used anything but the recommended product but they are not going to be on your boat should the seal fail ;-)

Trundlebug

Visit site
It might be more hassle but I would only use the recommended product - not all greases and rubbers mix well together and on a fairly critical item like a shaft seal I would stick with what the manufacturer/supplier recommends. I now fully expect to be shot down in flames by a spate of messages by people who have used anything but the recommended product but they are not going to be on your boat should the seal fail ;-)

+1
The Volvo grease isn't like standard w/proof grease, and it's much thicker than silicone grease.
I would therefore recommend using the proper stuff.

Plum

Visit site
Volvo Penta propshaft grease Part No: 828250 Quantity: 25 grams £3.50. This comes in a tube with a nozzle that you insert into a clear plastic straw from Costa coffee shop (other coffee shops are available). Squeeze in until 60mm of the straw is full of grease. Now pinch the end of the straw flat with your fingers and slide it between the stern-gland and the shaft so it is in by about 10mm then squeeze the grease out by sliding your fingers down the straw while rotating around the stern-gland. Remove empty straw. That should do it for another year or 100 hours. One of these tubes of VP grease may last you up to 10 years.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Volvo Penta propshaft grease Part No: 828250 Quantity: 25 grams £3.50. This comes in a tube with a nozzle that you insert into a clear plastic straw from Costa coffee shop (other coffee shops are available). Squeeze in until 60mm of the straw is full of grease. Now pinch the end of the straw flat with your fingers and slide it between the stern-gland and the shaft so it is in by about 10mm then squeeze the grease out by sliding your fingers down the straw while rotating around the stern-gland. Remove empty straw. That should do it for another year or 100 hours. One of these tubes of VP grease may last you up to 10 years.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I've been using a M*Donald's straw full of Carlube Aquaslip marine waterproof grease in my Volvo stern gland for the last few seasons with no apparent ill effects. Get it from an online auction site for about £8.00 for half a kilo...

And of course, you'll need the straw as well. I'd recommend having a large coke with no ice with your breakfast double sausage and egg mcmuffin meal on any breakfast occasion. :) This will be an excellent opportunity to acquire a few straws of suitable girth.

SimbaDog

Visit site
Thanks everyone :encouragement: Got the proper stuff from Marine Eng. & found a MacDonalds straw on the pavement :cool:

reeac

Visit site
You need the large diameter straw which flattens nicely to slip under the seal. I could only find the small diameter straws in supermarkets and, not being a Macdonalds fan, had to snaffle an NHS straw when in hospital.

Alone at home, on a beautiful summer's day, I just stumbled across this short, helpful and rather charming, thread.

I thought someone else just might enjoy it, too.

The problem is, nine years on and plastic straws are like hens' teeth. The paper replacements are poor substitutes.