Volvo Saildrive 120S

tom52

Visit site
I am about to come out of the water and am planning to change the seawater intake sea cock on my saildrive. ( the one with the blue plastic circular handle )

Apparently this is quite a common job. Any out there done this?

Any tips on size of replacement. Most suitable replacement. Method for removing the old seacock or anything else that might be of help.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

DickB

Visit site
I don't have a blue plastic valve - It is a bronze ball valve as you get on all the drain points. Seems easy to replace!!! How old is the valve?

<hr width=100% size=1>Dick

Rich_F

Visit site
I've got the same arrangement as you.

I'm thinking of cutting the hose from the seacock to the block, and inserting a Y-valve. This will provide an easy means of both shutting off the sea water, and of feeding antifreeze into the engine during winterisation, without disturbing (ie breaking) the existing hardware.

But I'll be interested to hear if the seawater cock can itself be easily replaced.

Rich

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
Only the shut off knob is blue plastic( I hope!), its about 8 years old.
I believe more recent Saildrives have something that looks like a conventional lever handled seacock
I understand for my local volvo agent that the old "blue knob" variety are prone to seize and its a good idea to replace them.
Mine still works OK ish but lets in a steady drip even when shut off.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jessica

Visit site
I am also thinking of changing the seacock with the plastic knob.
Mine leaks slightly as well.
Last year I had a colony of mussels alive, alive oh! and growing in the drive leg which partly blocked the water flow and overheated the engine.
The seacock felt "gritty" with the shells but as the seacock turns through a right angle I was unable to rod it to clear the problem.
I noticed that the later engines have a different arrangement with a straight through valve (ball valve?). They appear to be fitted on a tapered thread with some goo as a sealant. I believe that Volvo do a conversion kit (at Volvo prices of course-about £100).
Has anyone done this mod?
I have also considered fitting a separate seacock for the water intake and abandoning the through the leg arrangement. Does anyone know if you need the present water flow to cool the gearbox or drive?
Anyone done it yet?

<hr width=100% size=1>

SL23

Visit site
I have a separate seacock with ball valve mounted in the hull just in front of the engine so that it is easy to get to. This feeds the water filter. The hose from the water filter goes to the hose from the original seacock on the saildrive and joins it via a Tee piece. The original seacock can be turned off. I regularly open it to ensure that it is viable should it ever be needed'

I have not had any problems with this arangement.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AlexL

Visit site
I have a moody S31 with the 120S saildrive - my water inlet seacock on the leg has been blanked off completely. A Separate water inlet skin fitting has been fitted with its own sea cock which leads to the filter. If you want to persue this line - drop me a line and I'll take some digi photos of the setup

alex

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidew

Visit site
I'd be really happy to get some photos of this arrangement on your saildrive..

Cheers

David

<hr width=100% size=1>