volvo perkins prima

Adrian harrison

Visit site
Hello new member here

I hope go start my project in about a years time and at the moment am just looking for information ..

I have a Perkins prima sitting in my garage and I was wondering if it was possible to use this engine to power a sterndrive ? And how it would be done

Adrian

Tranona

Visit site
You don't say what size of engine you have and what you intend doing with it. Generally converted automotive engines have fallen out of favour for marine use. There are very few firms making any marinising kit and the complexity of modern engines put people off when there is a big choice of purpose built marinised engines available.

FlyingDutchman

Visit site
Hi Adrian,

I have the Volvo Penta MD22 in my boat which is the same engine in green and it works well. Starts easily, decent fuel consumption. I must say, I think they are a bit noisy. The timing belt needs close inspection but it lasts well.

Edit: Aha! The engine you have is not yet marinised? Is it from a Montego car?

Adrian harrison

Visit site
I have just spoken to lancing marine and it looks out that that the prima is a no go , the starter motor is going to get in the way .

also they told me that with the size of the project am doing which will be a big house boat , I would be better of with a conventional propulsion system ..

Samat

Visit site
Hi Adrian,
Have you still got the Prima ? Is it the non-Turbo ?
Don't suppose you're anywhere near Fowey, Cornwall, as I'm desperately in need of one to get my old Sherpa camper back on the road.
Cheers,
Sam