Volvo Penta TAMD31B Raw Water Not Flowing

swifty

Visit site
After relaunch from winter on the hard, engine starts fine but raw water is not flowing and exiting via exhaust, checked impeller all fine no missing blades. Any pointers on where I should look next.

SaltIre

Visit site
Probably air locked. Try filling the strainer with water before start up
If the OP has a strainer with a removable lid, check it is on tight and sealed. If not, air gets drawn in rather than water drawn up/in.
ftr140.jpg

Plum

Visit site
If the OP has a strainer with a removable lid, check it is on tight and sealed. If not, air gets drawn in rather than water drawn up/in.
ftr140.jpg
Agree, in my experience, that is the most likely reason, particularly if it is the old Volvo Penta strainer
volvo-strainer-7442134673645_eh_9212020-1--scaled.jpg

dpb

Visit site
Check the water inlet valve at the hull is open?
Also that the pipe from inlet to pump has not got obstructed or collapsed under suction.

swifty

Visit site
Update, returned to boat double checked everything filled volvo penta strainer full of water, then started engine flow minimal so increased engine rpm in a couple of short bursts. Flow quickly returned to normal and engine ran perfectly.

Plum

Visit site
Update, returned to boat double checked everything filled volvo penta strainer full of water, then started engine flow minimal so increased engine rpm in a couple of short bursts. Flow quickly returned to normal and engine ran perfectly.
I struggled with the VP strainer (see post #4) for a year trying to maintain the airtight seal of the lid before finally replacing it with a Vetus 470 one which has been perfect for the past 18 months with never a priming problem.

Because the VP 9ne did noy have a see-through lid everytime I removed the lid to inspect I had to prime, then sometimes taking 2 or three attempts to achieve a good seal of the lid/basket.

Last edited:

Megaboat

Visit site
I struggled with the VP strainer (see post #4) for a year trying to maintain the airtight seal of the lid before finally replacing it with a Vetus 470 one which has been perfect for the past 18 months with never a priming problem.

Because the VP 9ne did noy have a see-through lid everytime I removed the lid to inspect I had to prime, then sometimes taking 2 or three attempts to achieve a good seal of the lid/basket.
Yes I am tempted to do the same. Had difficulty identifying the flow rate for my KAMD44Ps