Volvo Penta outdrives

Richie5

Visit site
I installed two 4.3 GXI-E engines with DPS outdrives in my Fairline Targa 29 two years ago, Since they have been installed I have had nothing but trouble with the trim senders, I have had both replaced twice in the 1st year under warranty but they both have gone faulty again. My local engineers tell me not to waste my money replacing them as they will go faulty again. Has anybody else had this problem and if so what have you done about it. Any help please.

Peanuts

Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. I assume that you are having problems with the potentiometer in the top of the steering fork. I had to replace one of mine due to water finding its way up into the pot, I now keep the steering grease point well lubricated, I try to remember to give it a few pumps of grease every couple of months, so far all is well. I am not aware of it being a major problem,although I stand to be corrected (and probably will be). You have not given the reason for them being replaced, was it water ingress?
I can't help feeling you are being fobbed off by your engineers.
At this point I would mention that if you put a bit more info on your profile you may have more replies from the 'experts' on this forum.
Hope this is of some help.

mont

Visit site
Hi there,
Not an expert, as I dont have VP overalls, but I do have a potentiometer in my home workshop today, and have just done a major overall of my steering heads and pot drives wheels and units these last two weeks.
I've resolved my leaking steering units with new seals and cleaned out grease points after we had a steady drip of water coming through onto pot.
Would agree that regular greasing is essential as the steering head is in effect like a stern gland on a shaft and needs grease to work. It will also depend on how low in the water your steering sits as to the amount of water trying to get through.
Tell us more as two failures in quick succession doesnt sound right.

oldgit

Visit site
If its any consolation you can quickly get used to not having a visual indication of the trim.The speedo will tell you most of what you need to know,however blimming things ought to still work after only a couple of years use..The trim senders on my boat packed up ages ago and just cannot be bothered to fix them again..

[2068]

Visit site
Strange, the trim senders on my various VP drives are about the only thing that haven't ever failed. Instead, I buy propshaft seals, lower gear sets, hydraulic rams, and pumps.

Consider yourself lucky, so far /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif