Volvo penta KAMD 300 RPM problem

Squid

Visit site
Hello everybody, I'm newbie here so sorry for any mistake.

I have a boat with two volvo penta kamd 300. I have two helm stations, one in the cockpit and one on the flybridge.

When I am in the cockpit, the starboard engine suddenly accelerates or decelerates.

We have changed the potentiometer on the starboard control and it didn't work, we have replaced the fly edc with the one in the cockpit and vice versa, and it didn't work, we have changed the starboard engine control unit with the port one... and the problem is still the same.

The problem is always the starboard engine from the cockpit, from the flybridge there is no problem.

We don't know what else to try, it is desperate.

Thanks for your help.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hello everybody, I'm newbie here so sorry for any mistake.

I have a boat with two volvo penta kamd 300. I have two helm stations, one in the cockpit and one on the flybridge.

When I am in the cockpit, the starboard engine suddenly accelerates or decelerates.

We have changed the potentiometer on the starboard control and it didn't work, we have replaced the fly edc with the one in the cockpit and vice versa, and it didn't work, we have changed the starboard engine control unit with the port one... and the problem is still the same.

The problem is always the starboard engine from the cockpit, from the flybridge there is no problem.

We don't know what else to try, it is desperate.

Thanks for your help.
SPM unit

Squid

Visit site
Hello again @volvopaul , I've been reading about this issue and the SPM unit, I understood (sorry, my english is not the best) that TAMD 74-75 fitted it but I'm not sure if some KAMD 300 too. I've been looking in my boat and I haven't seen it (is a 2004 boat), so would the solution be buying one and fit it? I don't find it in Volvo Penta website.

I've also read that there are some 8 pin cable that were the problem too. Should I change them?

Thank you very much for your help, I'm looking for this solution since I bought the boat two years ago.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hello again @volvopaul , I've been reading about this issue and the SPM unit, I understood (sorry, my english is not the best) that TAMD 74-75 fitted it but I'm not sure if some KAMD 300 too. I've been looking in my boat and I haven't seen it (is a 2004 boat), so would the solution be buying one and fit it? I don't find it in Volvo Penta website.

I've also read that there are some 8 pin cable that were the problem too. Should I change them?

Thank you very much for your help, I'm looking for this solution since I bought the boat two years ago.
SPM , Signal processing module is available from dealers though last time I enquired they were out of stock .

what fault codes do you get when the system drops out?

Squid

Visit site
SPM , Signal processing module is available from dealers though last time I enquired they were out of stock .

what fault codes do you get when the system drops out?
Thanks four your response @volvopaul. At first the code was 2.7 potentiometer, but we changed potentiometer. I’ve came to the boat now to correctly answer you, and when I started the starbord engine, about 2-3 seconds after it put the gear and go. Luckily the boat was securly moored. I stop the engine and after that no codes in D button.
I try again and doesn’t put the gear but the rpm fluctuates. I’m trying to attach a video.

zt260

www.ashmouldings.co.uk
I once had a kad300 engine that on the odd occasion would put itself in gear normally when mooring or in a lock
I was told to clean the electrical connections in the large grey connector block that was on top of the engine this seemed to solve it.
Good luck

Squid

Visit site
I once had a kad300 engine that on the odd occasion would put itself in gear normally when mooring or in a lock
I was told to clean the electrical connections in the large grey connector block that was on top of the engine this seemed to solve it.
Good luck
Thank you very much @zt260 , I will try that too. I hope that works!

It is desperate because I want to bring my daughter to the boat (she's only 18 months) but like this it could be dangerous.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Thanks four your response @volvopaul. At first the code was 2.7 potentiometer, but we changed potentiometer. I’ve came to the boat now to correctly answer you, and when I started the starbord engine, about 2-3 seconds after it put the gear and go. Luckily the boat was securly moored. I stop the engine and after that no codes in D button.
I try again and doesn’t put the gear but the rpm fluctuates. I’m trying to attach a video.
After you changed the potentiometer did you carry out a lever calibration?