Volvo penta in fairline mirage 29

kevinjrob

Visit site
Hi all. New to boating but very handy with spanners. Just bought an old 1980 fairline mirage 29 with twin petrol engines. Have been told (and confirmed by sticker on volve cover) that they are penta aq130c's. Need to remove a head so bought a head gasket kit and now confused. The kit (and all the images I have found) show the exhaust and intake on one gasket, but mine is a crossflow design. As looking from the pulley end twin downdraught (solex 44pa1) on the left and log style exhaust on right. Raw seawater cooled with pump driven off the end of the cam. Definitely push rod ohv petrol. What is this likely to be please?

Kind regards

Time Out

Visit site
Hi all. New to boating but very handy with spanners. Just bought an old 1980 fairline mirage 29 with twin petrol engines. Have been told (and confirmed by sticker on volve cover) that they are penta aq130c's. Need to remove a head so bought a head gasket kit and now confused. The kit (and all the images I have found) show the exhaust and intake on one gasket, but mine is a crossflow design. As looking from the pulley end twin downdraught (solex 44pa1) on the left and log style exhaust on right. Raw seawater cooled with pump driven off the end of the cam. Definitely push rod ohv petrol. What is this likely to be please?

Kind regards

Try posting this in the Thames Forum here. You may get more replies for that type of boat / engine set up.

stelican

Visit site
We sold quite alot of Mirages around that time. the earlier boats had the 130s then 120s and 140s quickly followed by the 125 and 145. The 130 was the only 4 cylinder pushrod engine.
I seem to recall some of the mk1s with a single straight 6 170 pushrod engine.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Need to remove a head so bought a head gasket kit and now confused. The kit (and all the images I have found) show the exhaust and intake on one gasket, but mine is a crossflow design.

Kind regards

Is this not the same as the Volvo 1800cc B20 engine as used in cars but with a marine head gasket ? If so the exhaust and intake appear to be on one side of the cylinder head ?