Volvo Penta DP-G Outdrive

frenzy

Visit site
i having an issue with Both my outdrives when trying to lift them . When I push the down button they work fine.When I push the up button nothing happens. If I turn the ignition off and back on they work. I sometimes have to do this a few times to get to them completely lifted. I have tried changing the relay switch's around and still the same problem. The readings when lifting the legs Used to go from -5 to +40. now they just go form a red light flashing to +20. Any ideas where I should start.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi Paul , thanks for the reply, where do I find the potentiometer?

Top of steering hood , so under the metal pipe from turbo to intercooler.
You will see a fork held in place by a 13 mm head bolt , take out the bolt and fork , lift out the pot sensor, do t disconnect the plug and twist while someone is at the helm .

frenzy

Visit site
Top of steering hood , so under the metal pipe from turbo to intercooler.
You will see a fork held in place by a 13 mm head bolt , take out the bolt and fork , lift out the pot sensor, do t disconnect the plug and twist while someone is at the helm .

Just been to the boat. I disconnected both the fork and the bolt on each leg. Twisted Both the sensors as suggested and The the readings changed as I moved them. the legs did lift a small bit when I put pressure on the sensor. But only sometimes. Do you think that both sensors are faulty. Also with regards to the sensors , how do you completely remove them as they seem to be too big to remove.

alt

Visit site
Just been to the boat. I disconnected both the fork and the bolt on each leg. Twisted Both the sensors as suggested and The the readings changed as I moved them. the legs did lift a small bit when I put pressure on the sensor. But only sometimes. Do you think that both sensors are faulty. Also with regards to the sensors , how do you completely remove them as they seem to be too big to remove.

One of my DP-G sensors failed. It would behave fine most of the time, but when cruising along the readings on the display would go erratic (might go from 0 - 6 up and down) - I just replaced the sensor and no problems since.

On my Cranchi Smeraldo 37, I had to file back a tiny section of the transom right above the sensor. How they fitted it, I don't know... i'm guessing it was all assembled on the transom shield and then fitted to the transom as a whole unit. It wasn't a big deal as access was easy, but a nuisance none the less.

frenzy

Visit site
Hi Alt, Thanks for the reply.

When you say a tiny section, how much did you have to file ? Looking at mine I’d say I would have to file at least a centimetre. There is already a cut out section that should allow it but it’s not enough.

simonfraser

Visit site
dont understand this sensor issue, my DPE leg went up / down just fine with the sensor not rotating at all.
plastic wheel busted by the barnies when i got the boat.
all fixed now, so the display works again, but no difference to the leg moving ......

frenzy

Visit site
dont understand this sensor issue, my DPE leg went up / down just fine with the sensor not rotating at all.
plastic wheel busted by the barnies when i got the boat.
all fixed now, so the display works again, but no difference to the leg moving ......

H Simon,

I think the potentiometer (sensor) is faulty as advised by Volvo Paul. The up circuit goes from the trim switch through the potentiometer and to the up relay on my drive (DP-G) The down circuit goes directly from the trim switch to the down relay. Just found that information on line. So i think that would explain the reason my drive would lower and not lift. Ordered new potentiometer and going to fit. still the big question of removing the old one without hacking a section of the transom.

Mr Googler

Visit site
That’s correct.....simons probably failed in the normal trim range so the safety “beach” aspect wouldn’t work. He could have trimmed up too far with the engine running and smashed his UJ to bits!

I replaced a sender but there was a notch in the transom. I ended up needing a new bolt, spacer and retaining arm as they where rusted solid. This was on a DP-D leg so not sure on yours.

Awkward bloody job