Volvo Penta D9 575

Kmann22

Visit site
Hello all,

I’m currently in contract to purchase a 2006 Fairline Targa 47 with Volvo Penta D9 575 engines. The boat currently has 1,800 hours on it and has been meticulously cared for by the previous owner, who rarely ran it over 1,400 RPM. It comes with various documents as well as service records.

I have a surveyor scheduled to assess it, but I’d appreciate any advice on things to watch out for before finalizing the purchase. Given the hours on the engines, what’s a typical lifespan I can expect from them?
Thank you in advance .

Boat2016

Visit site
Hello all,

I’m currently in contract to purchase a 2006 Fairline Targa 47 with Volvo Penta D9 575 engines. The boat currently has 1,800 hours on it and has been meticulously cared for by the previous owner, who rarely ran it over 1,400 RPM. It comes with various documents as well as service records.

I have a surveyor scheduled to assess it, but I’d appreciate any advice on things to watch out for before finalizing the purchase. Given the hours on the engines, what’s a typical lifespan I can expect from them?
Thank you in advance .
Not even run in yet, those hours are nothing and engines should be good for 10,000 hours before any major works. I would be more put off by low hours where boat has been sitting in salt water rotting away coolers for years when not used. Choose the surveyor correctly as someone who understands those engines and any issues will be highlighted.

kashurst

Visit site
I had a pair of D9s in a Sealine T50. I did have a problem with one of them, but that was created by an incompetent mechanic.
There is a flexible fuel hose from the engine fuel filter to the cylinder head. The early ones could split. It's easy to change, check if they have been, with receipts!. If not change them both. It makes a big mess if one lets go. Also check for excessive black dust coming out of the flywheel housing. The damper/drive coupling has big rubber cylinders in it and they can break up. The D9 can develop a very minor oil leak at the top rear end of the engine. There is a metal cover bolted onto the cylinder head with some seals. They can weep a bit. Under the three oil filters is a black plastic drip try. I removed it on my engines as I found it made changing oil filters more difficult.
At those hours and age the cooling system will want checking carefully.
Targa 47 is one of my favorite boats. I found the D9 575s very responsive and very very smooth engines. Good luck with it.