Volvo penta d4 no turbo

AlexLbk

Visit site
I have a single d4-300if engine with 484 hours on it. The engine 4 years old. Took the boat out today and the engine will not exceed 1900rpm at WOT. Turbo pressure is 0 and I cannot hear the turbo running at all. The engine runs fine otherwise, starts right up, no smoke, idle is stable. Temperature is at 185F, oil pressure is at 61 max. I did see a few drops of oil coming from the bottom of the heat exchanger, but oil level did not change since the oil change last fall.
The engine went through full maintenance then: oil and fuel filters, impeller and a coolant flush.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SC35

Visit site
You shouldn't be able to hear the turbo running on a D4-300.

Check the Boost Pressure Sensor?
There is a connector to it that is worth checking as well.

Portofino

Visit site
If it’s a variable vane turbo controlled ( the vane pitch side ) by a actuator and the boat stud for a while the vanes might be ceased .A simple strip and lub should free them up .Of both the actuator thingy and the turbo .Or the whole things just ceased in which case ditto .

Salty air feeds back from the air filters and jams parts that should move .

julians

Visit site
If it’s a variable vane turbo controlled ( the vane pitch side ) by a actuator and the boat stud for a while the vanes might be ceased .A simple strip and lub should free them up .Of both the actuator thingy and the turbo .Or the whole things just ceased in which case ditto .

Its not variable vane on the d4, but the turbo can stick and cause the issue mentioned.

Taking the exhaust elbow off and spinning the turbo vanes by hand usually free's them off .

Mine did it once after the winter layup.

SC35

Visit site

It's not a variable vane turbo on a D4 or D6.

AlexLbk

Visit site
Thank you guys. I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but would I need new gaskets after taking off the exhaust manifold? If so I will order them from Volvo first. Also, I rarely run above 1800 rpm, since the boat goes from 8 knots to 10 knots burning 5 times more diesel. Is there any risk to the motor to operate it with turbo fan stuck like this?

julians

Visit site
Thank you guys. I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but would I need new gaskets after taking off the exhaust manifold? If so I will order them from Volvo first. Also, I rarely run above 1800 rpm, since the boat goes from 8 knots to 10 knots burning 5 times more diesel. Is there any risk to the motor to operate it with turbo fan stuck like this?

Its not the exhaust manifold you need to remove in order to get at the turbo, its the exhaust elbow, but there are no gaskets. if you look at the back of the engine, you can see the turbo, and connected to the turbo is the elbow, it bends through 90 degrees and connects to a rubber pipe. The elbow is connected to the turbo with V band clamp, you just loosen the one bolt that tightens the v band clamp.

The elbow looks like this

Stainless steel Elbow for Volvo Penta D4-180 / D4-320 Replaces 21684826 3884701 | eBay

AlexLbk

Visit site
You shouldn't be able to hear the turbo running on a D4-300.

Check the Boost Pressure Sensor?
There is a connector to it that is worth checking as well.
That is definitely worth checking since I was touching the EVC bus (adding a charge controller). Sorry for being clueless, but where is the sensor located on the engine?

AlexLbk

Visit site
Its not the exhaust manifold you need to remove in order to get at the turbo, its the exhaust elbow, but there are no gaskets. if you look at the back of the engine, you can see the turbo, and connected to the turbo is the elbow, it bends through 90 degrees and connects to a rubber pipe. The elbow is connected to the turbo with V band clamp, you just loosen the one bolt that tightens the v band clamp.

The elbow looks like this

Stainless steel Elbow for Volvo Penta D4-180 / D4-320 Replaces 21684826 3884701 | eBay
The The turbo fan was a bit hard to move initially, but now spins freely with a finger. There is a bunch of carbon deposits on the sides of the housing, a tip of the fan is touching some of these deposits a bit, not enough to make it stop, but it's still touching. Should I try to clean all the crud and if so how?

AlexLbk

Visit site
Well, I did two things:
1. Cleaned the exhaust elbow, spun the turbo by hand.
2. Drained some oil from the engine - it was just a mm higher than the top mark on the dip stick. Now it's a bit above the middle of the stick.
I also checked the air filter and crank case breather filter - both were virgin.
The turbo works and no more oil dripping from the intercooler.
Again, thanks everyone.

PS
I did order a MAP sensor just in case.

Last edited: