Volvo Penta d4 no power on port engine

Stampede

Visit site
Hi Everyone

I have twin Volvo d4 and I have no power whatsoever on the port engine and display ..

Where should I start to look. 🤔

Could it be the dc/dc converter and is there a fuse that leads to that 🤔

Any help would be appreciated

Irish Rover

Visit site
Hi Everyone

I have twin Volvo d4 and I have no power whatsoever on the port engine and display ..

Where should I start to look. 🤔

Could it be the dc/dc converter and is there a fuse that leads to that 🤔

Any help would be appreciated
I had this problem many years ago. I called a Volvo mechanic. He came, knocked it out of gear, and started the engine. I still blush when I think about it 😊.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
If you have absolutely nothing when you turn the key , assuming it’s key start or is it button pack start ? The DC DC convertor is below the rear of the intercooler , check the plug hasn’t vibrated out .

Stampede

Visit site
Ok. Eventually got to the DC/Dc box. It’s really difficult to get at 😤
The connection seems fine

I’m presuming a DC/Dc Replacement

Attachments

• IMG_3353.png
    IMG_3353.png
    1 MB · Views: 22

Stampede

Visit site
I just changed the DC/DC unit and there is no change. Still no power. When I plug in the old and new one there is a small noise coming from some where in the engine.

Any suggestions please for the next step

Andyroonot

Visit site
There are a number of places to check but it’s long winded to explain via this forum. Where is the boat?
Have you got the engine generation that has an 8-pin plug above the air filter on the stbd side of the engine?
Have you checked for power at the helm?

Stampede

Visit site
Ok. Just tried the ignition on both engines and a warning alarm came on. (Check EVC system

Then I noticed smoke coming from the port Joystick steering control unit in the engine compartment .it got extremely hot
Turned off power to port engine and it stopped. Could it possible that it’s related to the problem 🤔

GusC@AK

Visit site
Sounds like you may need a new EVC for your port engine. I had same issue several years ago. An easy diagnostic test is to plug in your starboard EVC onto your port engine. If it starts, new EVC. I recall mine smelled like burning plastic when I removed it.

Stampede

Visit site
Ok Guys just an update on the fault. Had a mechanic down to check everything.

it seems the control unit for the joystick (SCU) is burnt out. Disconnected the unit from the system and the engine started (with errors ) Expensive fix 😳

Mr Googler

Visit site
Sorry to hear that but at least you found it

A square bit of carbon fibre trim to cover the hole where the joystick was is competitive price wise 😁

Stampede

Visit site
New Steering Control unit (SCU) fitted at an enormous price and everything is working

Thanks for all your replies