Volvo Penta D3 190 limp mode / fault gremlins. Please help!

SC35

Visit site
Hi everyone,
We’ve just finally solved our issue. And it’s very similar to yours @Doral Prestancia - Spain

Culprit: Portside turbo vacuum pump itself.

Got a new one, and it pulled full boost, shifted the old one to Starboard as a test and sure enough only pulled 50kpa boost

Put the vacuum pump back on starboard and new one to port and both pulled 150kpa.

Thanks everyone for your help. It really does help and mean a lot.

So now I have a fully overhauled engine room! Until the next issue.

Goose

Post #10

Reactions: vas

vas

Visit site
So even main Volvo Agent would not trqce this fault on the system 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I guess the builders have to draw a line on where they stop stuffing an engine with sensors.
OTOH, it should be possible to decipher the behaviour and at least through a helpful warning by checking and comparing the throttle position to the turbo boost.
Yes, rpm vs boost is fine, but throttle position against rpm and against boost is not fine. Could be failing turbo but could be this vacuum pump which seems to be the issue in yours as well.
Now, how come both of them fail together, that's another story, but for sure it's going to be dead easy to check by unplugging the vaccum hose on the turbo side and check what it produces...

oh well, still it's better than ECU throwing misleading errors/warnings that get you searching (and start part replacing) on something irrelevant (happens a lot in modern cars!)

V.

GooseGas

Visit site
So even main Volvo Agent would not trqce this fault on the system 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
To an extent they did. VNT valve out of normal range and the Actuator fault are all a result of the vacuum pump issue, it’s just that the computer is pointing at the wrong source of the problem.

The other thing that led us massively astray was it faulted across both. So two worn out turbos, one with a failed vacuum pump was resulting in both looking like the same thing…..but with new turbos, it still appeared as the same issue, just the vacuum pump on one was holding the whole system back.

Let me know how you go Doral. Definitely looks and sounds like a pressure loss from hoses / pump / manifold gasket knowing what we know now.

SC35

Visit site
Yeeeeep. As soon as I got the call today I thought of your post! Thankfully only 2 weeks ago and apart from a fuel system check we’ve not added to the parts list.

Sounds like you mostly have a new drivetrain, fitted one part at a time :LOL:
Fingers crossed that it will just be engines and drives burbling away happily from now on.

Last edited:

Royelia

Visit site
Hi everyone,
We’ve just finally solved our issue. And it’s very similar to yours @Doral Prestancia - Spain

Culprit: Portside turbo vacuum pump itself.

Got a new one, and it pulled full boost, shifted the old one to Starboard as a test and sure enough only pulled 50kpa boost

Put the vacuum pump back on starboard and new one to port and both pulled 150kpa.

Thanks everyone for your help. It really does help and mean a lot.

So now I have a fully overhauled engine room! Until the next issue.

Goose
Hello am having the same problem as well, where do you hook the vacuum gauge to check for pressure?