Volvo Penta AQ Engine removal

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, Quick question if I may.
I am removing my AQ171c Engine and need to ask a question regarding the Clamp Ring.
The sterndrives have been removed.
6 bolts holding the flywheel have been removed .
All hoses and electrical connections have been disconnected etc and is basically ready for the crane.
However the Clamp Ring appears to be stuck fast.
Will this come off when the crane lifts the engine backwards and then up?
Or do I have to remove the clamp ring first?
If necessary I can destroy the clamp ring by drilling holes and breaking it off, also I am not sure if there are a couple of threaded holes in the clamp ring to re-insert the flywheel bolts and "push the engine backwards.
Advice gratefully received.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
When you say clamp ring , you mean the 6x 9/16 head bolts on the bobtail ?

you can also remove the engine by taking out the bell housing bolts from the engine block to the bobtail inside the boat .
The clamp ring is probably attached by marine growth , a large bar or screwdriver will move it , it’s more likely stuck on the inside of the ring where it passes over the bobtail .

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, Thank you for your response.
That is correct - the 6 x 9/16 have been removed, but that ring seems to be stuck fast ... tried a large bar and screwdriver but was worried about damage.
The bell housing bolts are VERY difficult to access due to lack of space. I Have plenty of room to move the engine backwards before lifting up.
The handbook makes it seem simple!! Just remove the 6 bolts and you are good to go?? However I was concerned that without removing the Clamp Ring (part 854316) the engine would not come out easily.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi, Thank you for your response.
That is correct - the 6 x 9/16 have been removed, but that ring seems to be stuck fast ... tried a large bar and screwdriver but was worried about damage.
The bell housing bolts are VERY difficult to access due to lack of space. I Have plenty of room to move the engine backwards before lifting up.
The handbook makes it seem simple!! Just remove the 6 bolts and you are good to go?? However I was concerned that without removing the Clamp Ring (part 854316) the engine would not come out easily.
If the ring is seized to the bobtail then you won’t get the engine to go forward.

moresparks

Visit site
Just an update on this.
The Clamp Ring was indeed seized to the bobtail, however the Clamp ring did have three offset threaded holes and the old flywheel bolts did indeed push off the ring - eventually.
Many thanks for your help and advice.