Volvo outdrive bellows

raptorheli2

Visit site
Hey all,

Looking to see what bellows people are using on their drives?volvo or aftermarket?

I've seen volvo changed the design a couple of years ago to a thinner rubber and some people have had cracking issues with them-https://forums.iboats.com/threads/new-style-volvo-bellows.754748/

Not long had boat but don't know when bellows were done so don't know if should get volvo or aftermarket ones.

FYI boat is dry stacked, rarely kept in water if matters

Momac

Visit site
At the weekend I just fitted genuine bellows ,
I would have thought its one of those items that its best to use the genuine parts.

ICTM

Visit site
Genuine Volvo, just not worth risking something that may not be up to standard IMHO. Heaven forbid the boat is lost due to a bellows failure but I do believe an invoice (and I also take photos) showing genuine parts used as per the manufactures schedule would end any issues with the insurers.

raptorheli2

Visit site
At the weekend I just fitted genuine bellows ,
I would have thought its one of those items that its best to use the genuine parts.
I fully intended to order volvo ones but in looking for the part number I need I found people saying this new design is failing after a few months in some cases, only one example thread I posted but more are about.

Momac

Visit site
Must admit I noticed no difference between the old and new bellows other than the new were possibly a bit more flexible.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Hey all,

Looking to see what bellows people are using on their drives?volvo or aftermarket?

I've seen volvo changed the design a couple of years ago to a thinner rubber and some people have had cracking issues with them-https://forums.iboats.com/threads/new-style-volvo-bellows.754748/

Not long had boat but don't know when bellows were done so don't know if should get volvo or aftermarket ones.

FYI boat is dry stacked, rarely kept in water if matters
Surely it is UV sunlight which does the damage?

In which case may be worth keep them covered when not in use.

raptorheli2

Visit site
Surely it is UV sunlight which does the damage?

In which case may be worth keep them covered when not in use.

My boat is dry stacked so the bellows will constantly dry out which may also not help here nor the UV. Or maybe them not being submerged all the time is better for them, I'm not an expert in materials so I don't know.

Still curious if anyone runs non volvo and what they are like. This isn't a cost issue, it's what is better if the new ones are fragile as some claim.

oldgit

Visit site
Have used both aftermarket and genuine VP bellows in the dim and distant past, boats extensively used during the year 150 PA hours average.
Legs always up at the end of each trip, unless the rams were leaking again and legs slowly descending back down into the water.
Rubberware was usually changed annually and never left to beyond two seasons.
Sometimes one leg would have had aftermarket fitted while the other had genuine VP fitted.
All of boats were still floating when sold on.
Failure of exhaust bellows was rare but the condition of the U/J bellows is critical.
This could merely result in remedial work to the U/J or in the worst case major repairs to the jackshaft and bearings as well.

The above was when the difference in price between genuine VP and aftermarket stuff was considerable.
Suspect VP became well aware of a loss of business due to this and made their prices far more competitive.
If the prices are now similar would go for genuine VP items if this helps you sleep at night ?

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Don't know why Volvo Penta would change the design .

In my case the UJ bellows kit (including new clips) was £35.18 +VAT plus postage . Not so expensive really.

Andyroonot

Visit site
DPS bellows have changed and are now spec’d as changing every 4 years. DPH haven’t changed as far as I am aware and are suggested for change every 2 years

Regarding the comment from @oldgit regarding leaving them trimmed up, if the trim rams were external on the boat in question then it’s possible this lead to growth on the shaft of the ram which subsequently damaged the seals and lead to them “leaking again”?

raptorheli2

Visit site
DPS bellows have changed and are now spec’d as changing every 4 years. DPH haven’t changed as far as I am aware and are suggested for change every 2 years

Regarding the comment from @oldgit regarding leaving them trimmed up, if the trim rams were external on the boat in question then it’s possible this lead to growth on the shaft of the ram which subsequently damaged the seals and lead to them “leaking again”?
Thanks for info, haven't seen an update to the 4 years for DPS anywhere else?

I'm going to order the volvo stuff shortly, I'm making an outdrive trolly just now first. Knocked up in CAD and ordered metal today.20240204_214812.jpg20240204_215433.jpg

oldgit

Visit site

On a drying half tide mooring.