Volvo KAMD 300 - are high hours a concern?

BruceK

Visit site
Talked about over the years by experienced boaters and details of the ‘fix’ shared and of course illustrated by Paul’s example Bruce. As I understand it the complexity of the top end of the 44 and 300 was a factor. Only passing on my understanding and not arguing the case - absolutely fine by me if you are dubious.

Not trying to be contentious. Paul has answered why. Without the why it is somewhat incredulous and smacks of hearsay. Im on 42's. I only have to remove the oil filler cap to know that I am well lubed up. 44 and above I can accept.

Greg2

Visit site
No worries ?

No probs at all with the 42 and 43 in that respect - good motors - the 44 and 300 got a whole lot more complicated.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

kashurst

Visit site
It's part number 6. A rubber lipped seal. When they get old you get water dripping onto the alternator. It's a 10 minute job, very easy. In a perfect world you would change part 10 (it's the same component) but I think you have to take the bearings out to do that one, so being lazy/risk more damage I left it alone.
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Sea Water Pump, Components: B KAD32P, KAMD43P, KAMD43P-A, KAMD43P-B, KAD44P, KAD44P-B, KAD44P-C, KAMD44P-A, KAMD44P-C, KAMD44P-B - MarinePartsEurope.com
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Sea Water Pump, Components: C KAD300-A, KAMD300-A - MarinePartsEurope.com

Elessar

Visit site
Hi all. Appreciate this has probably been asked multiple times.
I have my eye on a boat with a pair of KAMD 300 with 1500 hours. I'll be speaking to the broker tomorrow so no details on service history yet.
If they have been serviced properly including valve adjustments etc. Do I have anything to be concerned about. At those hours should I be budgeting for a few big bills, turbo, supercharger replacement.
Thanks in advance.

I’ve done 1280 on mine in just over 5 years.
The hours meters were broken when I bought it.
Total now, who knows?
Do I care?
No.

CLB

Visit site
It's part number 6. A rubber lipped seal. When they get old you get water dripping onto the alternator. It's a 10 minute job, very easy. In a perfect world you would change part 10 (it's the same component) but I think you have to take the bearings out to do that one, so being lazy/risk more damage I left it alone.
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Sea Water Pump, Components: B KAD32P, KAMD43P, KAMD43P-A, KAMD43P-B, KAD44P, KAD44P-B, KAD44P-C, KAMD44P-A, KAMD44P-C, KAMD44P-B - MarinePartsEurope.com
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Sea Water Pump, Components: C KAD300-A, KAMD300-A - MarinePartsEurope.com

Deleted as I was talking rubbish