Volvo KAD 32 supercharger

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
Happy New Year everyone.

On to pick some of the Volvo Penta knowledge base on here.

Our Starboard engine had the usual Supercharger clutch failure midway through the season, replacement ordered and engineer attended to repalce. On arrival he found the supercharger was in fact seized.

This was stripped, and sent away and replacement sent back. Within two months and very little use the replacement supercharger was seized. Same again, sent away for replacement. Recon place adamant that there was internal corrosion.

Engineer checked and pressure tested everything that they could think of that could cause water to enter the supercharger. No issues found. Supercharger replaced again and engine back operating fine.

Give the terrible weather we have had the boat hasn’t been out, just turned over every week or two. We went to use her yesterday and found the supercharger clutch on the starboard engine to have failed. Haven’t yet stripped to find out if intact that supercharger is seized again but growing increasingly concerned that there is an underlying issue that has yet to be found. With the expense of a new / recon supercharger being a real possibility, any advice on what to check thoroughly would be appreciated

Thanks again for any advice

@volvopaul

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Happy New Year everyone.

On to pick some of the Volvo Penta knowledge base on here.

Our Starboard engine had the usual Supercharger clutch failure midway through the season, replacement ordered and engineer attended to repalce. On arrival he found the supercharger was in fact seized.

This was stripped, and sent away and replacement sent back. Within two months and very little use the replacement supercharger was seized. Same again, sent away for replacement. Recon place adamant that there was internal corrosion.

Engineer checked and pressure tested everything that they could think of that could cause water to enter the supercharger. No issues found. Supercharger replaced again and engine back operating fine.

Give the terrible weather we have had the boat hasn’t been out, just turned over every week or two. We went to use her yesterday and found the supercharger clutch on the starboard engine to have failed. Haven’t yet stripped to find out if intact that supercharger is seized again but growing increasingly concerned that there is an underlying issue that has yet to be found. With the expense of a new / recon supercharger being a real possibility, any advice on what to check thoroughly would be appreciated

Thanks again for any advice

@volvopaul
You are saying recon place , I have yet to find any company that can supply parts to recondition one , the only parts available is the clutch , oil and aftermarket bearings .
I would be suspicious of your engineer on this on because the unit draws its air from the same filter that the turbo does so unless your sucking in water or sea water I cannot see how it can seize up .
The only one I have recently attended that was seized up was due to carbon / exhaust gas due to a failed exhaust elbow which allowed exhaust fumes into the engine air filter , removing the top outlet cover and cleaning the rotors sorted the unit , a change of oil and all ok .
I would be asking questions and asking for photos of the unit internally .

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
You are saying recon place , I have yet to find any company that can supply parts to recondition one , the only parts available is the clutch , oil and aftermarket bearings .
I would be suspicious of your engineer on this on because the unit draws its air from the same filter that the turbo does so unless your sucking in water or sea water I cannot see how it can seize up .
The only one I have recently attended that was seized up was due to carbon / exhaust gas due to a failed exhaust elbow which allowed exhaust fumes into the engine air filter , removing the top outlet cover and cleaning the rotors sorted the unit , a change of oil and all ok .
I would be asking questions and asking for photos of the unit internally .
Thanks Paul, we actually recently replaced the exhaust elbows on both engines as they were badly corroded and there was the presence of fumes in the engine bay. Perhaps that has been a contributing factor here?

I don’t want to publicly name the company that “reconditioned” the supercharger, but as soon as we have this one stripped again then i will be able to confirm more detail. Our unit was posted down south and “reconditioned” then returned. Drop me a DM if you like and I will send you details.

Port engine clutch pulley internal spins freely when engine is off, starboard is seized. Unsure until we strip it if that indicates the supercharger is seized or if it’s just a clutch kit. Very hopeful that it is just the latter.

If it is then we will need to get to the bottom of why it is going through a clutch every 12 months with low use. Possible water leak local to it when under load?

Thanks for the quick response, will be back in touch with further details when I have them.

Happy New Year

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
Hello again,

Just a quick update, confirmed today that the supercharger is indeed seized again. Engineer has removed and I’m hopeful it can be freed up and doesn’t require replacement.

Will catch up with the engineer tomorrow to see what further investigation can be made, as my post above indicates the exhaust elbows have been replaced recently, if anyone has any other thoughts on what could be causing or contributing to the issue I would be very grateful.

Thanks

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
Hello again,

Just a quick update, confirmed today that the supercharger is indeed seized again. Engineer has removed and I’m hopeful it can be freed up and doesn’t require replacement.

Will catch up with the engineer tomorrow to see what further investigation can be made, as my post above indicates the exhaust elbows have been replaced recently, if anyone has any other thoughts on what could be causing or contributing to the issue I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Attachments

• b68fa68a-0b04-4d5c-8814-02d99c18ba00.jpeg
    b68fa68a-0b04-4d5c-8814-02d99c18ba00.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 881c87d5-0815-48b7-90bd-d6e29c89d734.jpeg
    881c87d5-0815-48b7-90bd-d6e29c89d734.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 43

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
@volvopaul photos attached.

Engineer confident again that it seems to be water ingestion over fine related. He is hopefully going to get the supercharger freed up.

Any thoughts on potential sources of water, from my limited understanding it can only be entering via the air intake? Could there be a source leaking near the air intake when the engine is under load?

Once the supercharger is freed, it will be reassembled and further testing carried out.

Any thoughts welcomed!

Thanks again

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
It could be, absolutely cannot be ruled out. There was certainly a gap in time between the last supercharger seizure and the exhaust elbows being replaced.

Once the engine is back together we will get the exhaust checked again. The bit that is confusing me is, if it’s environmental / atmospheric, why is the port engine absolutely fine and they share the engine bay.

It is a strange one!

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
Certainly looks like carbon / soot
All evidence is now pointing to that being the case, more photos from today and certainly carbon / soot build up.

Pleased to say supercharger is looking ok for strip, clean and rebuild. Once reassembled we will sea trial extensively to confirm we no longer have any exhaust leaks or other issues.

Appreciate input from people so far 👍

Attachments

• 06cab261-9df9-4748-a197-76ffc19e9ba2.jpeg
    06cab261-9df9-4748-a197-76ffc19e9ba2.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 21
  • 15f019d2-cb31-4c9d-a526-6135dda973fa.jpeg
    15f019d2-cb31-4c9d-a526-6135dda973fa.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 20

BruceK

Visit site
As VP said. This is a unit that cannot be reconditioned except for front bearings and clutch. TBH yours looks very worn to me and I would add to the pot here, have you been over revving it? They are good to 11k rpm indefinitely but with belt reduction that is easily over achieved if it sticks on. Then indefinitely very quickly becomes definitely FUBAR. Check if its losing oil out of its reservoir. Thats a dead give away too

jon and michie

Visit site
Without upsetting anyone - is your "engineer" a recognised one ie volvo etc
And a marine one and not a mechanic?
The reason I ask is that it's been pointed out about the carbon/soot.
And a volvo marine tech has mentioned how it has been caused and that the unit is not possible to recon except for one or two items?

Momac

Visit site
It could be, absolutely cannot be ruled out. There was certainly a gap in time between the last supercharger seizure and the exhaust elbows being replaced.

Once the engine is back together we will get the exhaust checked again. The bit that is confusing me is, if it’s environmental / atmospheric, why is the port engine absolutely fine and they share the engine bay.

It is a strange one!

Look at where the air intake is into the air filter box . Its just there next to the exhaust . So and exhaust leak would sucked straight into the air filter box
What condition was the air filter in? Usually after a year they come out looking okay in my case and certainly not black all over.
Was the air filter wet ?

stelican

Visit site
And a volvo marine tech has mentioned how it has been caused and that the unit is not possible to recon except for one or two items?
Just interested to know why there is a difference between and the Mechanic and an Engineer

SALEXKAD32

Visit site
They are indeed, moved to a new one recently and they seem much more competent.

Much like putting your car into a franchised dealer, sometimes not the best!