Volvo engine choice TAMD75 or D6

Rtimmorris

Visit site
There are two semi-displacement 50' boats I am looking at. Not a lot to choose between them, pluses and minuses for each. I do not know which would be the best engines to go for. There is one (2007 with 600hrs) with D6 engines, and the other (2005 with 900hrs) with TAMD75's. I think the boat model is more displacement than semi, but will go up to about +-15kts. I would probably be mostly travelling slow. Maybe one can go faster than the other, it's all getting confusing. I'm not even asking at this point about the other two boats which have 2 different engines again. What does the list have to advise? Thanks in advance...

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
There are two semi-displacement 50' boats I am looking at. Not a lot to choose between them, pluses and minuses for each. I do not know which would be the best engines to go for. There is one (2007 with 600hrs) with D6 engines, and the other (2005 with 900hrs) with TAMD75's. I think the boat model is more displacement than semi, but will go up to about +-15kts. I would probably be mostly travelling slow. Maybe one can go faster than the other, it's all getting confusing. I'm not even asking at this point about the other two boats which have 2 different engines again. What does the list have to advise? Thanks in advance...

Tell us what boats there in before I comment please.

Rtimmorris

Visit site
Tell us what boats there in before I comment please.

The boat is made by a low volume yard not known by many, so would you excuse me if I omitted that info. I have set out some more spec below to give you an idea of the structure. It is shaft drive.

Displacement: 50000 lbs
Beam: 4.6m. Draft: 1.8m

Last edited:

rosssavage

Visit site
Why omit it?? Lots of people on here with LOTS of knowledge (not least vp above).

There may be known installation gotchas (think turbo 36, tamd61a stern glands for example) so the boat type may actually be relevant.