volvo 280 outdrive bellows replacement

ms1

Visit site
I dont think a particularly 'quick solution' is possible as the whole leg has to come off. You need an instruction manual or someone to show you how it's done (the latter being the quicker method .. for first time ... I would suggest) .
How about a 'mobile' marine engineer to come to your location ?.
Just bellows ? .. might you service the leg at same time ?

Chris_d

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think a particularly 'quick solution' is possible as the whole leg has to come off. You need an instruction manual or someone to show you how it's done (the latter being the quicker method .. for first time ... I would suggest) .
How about a 'mobile' marine engineer to come to your location ?.
Just bellows ? .. might you service the leg at same time ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't have to take the whole leg off, its much easier to just remove the top bevel gear assembly, did both of mine earlier this year and its dead easy. There was a description by Spannerman on how to do it here on the forum, I'm sure someone will post it soon, unfortunately lost my copy.

neale

Visit site
Spannerman's method is the way to go if it works on the 280, which I think it will. I used it earlier in the year for my DP-E and it saves alot of time and effort.

Thanks Spannerman /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

spannerman

Visit site
Your welcome Neale, could just use that beer now!
It will work on all 280-290 variants, unfortunately not on the new DP-H/R drives now we have to take the whole leg off /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Wot lurks inside. 280.

Check the gearbox oil for water leaks.
Any milky goo inside and its probably either the prop shaft seal or the gear selector.
Fiddly but not that expensive.

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
Then read on a few posts from Volvo Paul “take the drive off and do it properly”

I always remove the drives not much more work and you don’t open up a drive to oil / water ingress.

Personally I am happy to do it either way, and perhaps do it more often with just the top off, but each to their own. It makes the job much easier/quicker IMHO. While I value VP's opinion, I also value Spannerman's opinion. I don't see much risk in the top off method, as long as you know what you're doing and do it carefully. It has certainly never caused me any problems.

Littlecoast

Visit site
Thanks. I figured it out on my 280. Of course when I finished putting on the u-joint bellows, I noticed a tear in the exhaust bellows so ending up doing both. On the u-joint the flange off the stern had de

oldgit

Visit site
Would always replace bellows both simply not worth doing only one.
The water hose should be checked as well a real pig (impossible ) to replace if leg still on.
Worth checking top hat sleeves as well at some point,the steering helmet needs to come off which means releasing the steering arm .

First signs will usually be water dripping down inside the transom.
A few coppers to buy but a darling of job :)

Last edited:

Spitfireboy

Visit site
Hi there. I read an article on the evinrude johnson starter motor bracket and you said that you might have one kicking around? For a Belgium built 25hp. Is there any chance you still have one? Kind regards James 07555354611