Volvo 270 Leg

G

I saw one on an on-line boat site recently, "boatjumble.com" I think. If I find it again, I will mail it to you. Whats wrong with yours? Rick.

G

Rick, Thanks for the info. I found the site it is not fully open yet but I have registered. What is wrong with mine -- Well, I bought the boat last October. I had a full survey completed on it and one of the things that was recomened was the the gattors be re placed on teh legs. The owner at the time had this work done. Both legs were serviced at the time as well. The guy who did the work was the same engineer who has looked after the boat for about two years. The engineer had serviced the engines and legs the previous year. Every thing looked OK. I moved the boat from teh brokers to a different marina - a trip of about 15 mins. 3 week later the boat can out of the water and went on a hard stand. Basically so I could clean a few things and antifoul etc.

About 3 weeks ago the engineer at the new marina had a word with me and pointed out that the starboard leg did not look like it was locating properly. We had a good look at it and it seemed that the reverses locking system was not in good shape. So I agreed for the engineer to take the leg off and see what was up. He called me in a blind panic as the leg was almost siexed on the drive shaft. When he removed the top cover assy the UJ joint was completely rusted and siezed in one direction. This would allow the drive to work but most of the flexibility had gone. The rust had clearly been there for a long, long time not a recent development. This had caused a lot of extra stress throughout the leg as the engine had been running. It has caused massive wear on the susspnesion fork - need a new one. The reverse tilt mechanism is damaged beyond repair. And several other things are shot. The total bill for parts ( Volspec ) is around £2000 ! I can't believe it. I have talked to the previous owner who is very upset - not as much as me ! I am now taking legal advice on how to sort the engineer out. I have bill s for the work he did etc. But boy am I fed up with this joker !I make you wonder about the regualtion contol over the idiots who call them selves engineers !! I will find a way to get even as opposed to mad --- Any ideas !

Phil

G

I had a very similar problem on my first boat. It had a 330 Mercruiser on a Bravo 2 leg. When I was buying the boat I had a survey & engineers report - everything was OK so I bought the boat. Less than one month later the 'donut' on the drive sheered all it's splines because the engine was not properly alligned. As a result the boat had to be lifted, leg removed, engine craned out and a new bit fitted - 4 figure sum. How did I get my own back on the engineer...? Well, I acted as a 'daft' new owner who had a problem and asked this engineer to fix it. He fixed it, but did I pay him?

G

I had a very similar problem on my first boat. It had a 330 Mercruiser on a Bravo 2 leg. When I was buying the boat I had a survey & engineers report - everything was OK so I bought the boat. Less than one month later the 'donut' on the drive sheered all it's splines because the engine was not properly alligned. As a result the boat had to be lifted, leg removed, engine craned out and a new bit fitted - 4 figure sum. How did I get my own back on the engineer...? Well, I acted as a 'daft' new owner who had a problem and asked this engineer to fix it. He fixed it, but did I pay him?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
G

Try Pentapower in Luton.

I used to have two on my last boat,if the bearings in the joint are replaced the joint is ok again. if the coupling is shot-blasted the spline will work again. and couldnt a new bush be fitted by a local engineer into the fork. and reverse ass, bet Pentapower are cheaper! sound like you may be able to save some cash by making a few calls. Just a thought. let us know how you get on?

Rick

G

Phil, Have a work with Paul at Coastal Rides on 01303 262300. He fixes all things volvo and is quite likely to have second hand spares or a used leg that could save you some serious dosh. If that dosent work try www.mmsdirect.co.uk online for parts, volvo originals at greatly reduced proces and good service to. Goos Luck, Eddie