Volvo 2003 again

PeteB

Visit site
Can someone tell me the revs a Volvo 2003 should be run at.

I've been told 2200rpm continuous, 2600rpm for up to one hour.

Sounds low to me - can anyone confirm?

G

Hi,

Volvo 2003 is rated at 28 HP at 3200 rpm max on load. This power is recommended only for 1 hour continuous in 24. For extended high power running use approx 200 to 400 rpm less than max, so 2600 would be a good speed for the engine. This may not be a good speed for the boat / hull speed / weather conditions etc. only you can tell.

Hope this helps.

Springer.

sapper

Visit site
I did reply to your enquiry about 2 weeks ago and cant understand whats gone wrong as there is no sign of my message. Here goes again, I have a workshop manual for a 2003, if you would like a copy (they arent that big), please confirm.

JamesS

Visit site
Recommendations from the manual aside, I guess it depends upon your boat and conditions and to a certain extent how much fuel you wish to preserve.

Our Moody 31 is able to maintain 6kts in a smooth to slight sea at 2000 rpm - in fact we seldom go above that. When this figure starts to deteriorate - time to antifoul!

Beyond that point improved performance is marginal and the fuel consumption soars.

Cheers

andy_wilson

Visit site
Bukh

Anyone can build an overengineered and under performing motor.

I takes a bit more thought to come up with something that can provide a higher specific performance, even in short bursts.

Personally I find most Bukh engines and parts over priced and the engine particularly over sized and over weight.

Take a Bukh?

Keep it!

marcelo

Visit site
Hi,

I have a 2003 (turbodiesel 45hp, the former owner thought that he could get more power at more or less same weight than 28hp – is a 37sailboat may be overpowered? ) I’m interested in the manual, can you put it into pdf or other form or format transmissible by e-mail?.
I’m also interested to know which are the cruising revs.
Thanks
Marcelo

mldpt

Visit site
I run my 2003 at 2500 rpm for general cruising, on my 36 ft Sloop weighs 7tons does about 6.5 kts depending on the sea state, uses about half a gallon an hour, has done 4000 hrs since new in 1988. will rev to 3000 but the speed increase is hardly worth it.
Mike