Volvo 2002

majic_toad

Visit site
On occasion my engine does not like idling, I can be motoring quite happly and then bring the contol lever to the neutral / idle position, when I try to incease power ( full throttle some times ), the engine will sit at a low idle for some time and then pick up when it eventualy decides to. has any one got any ideas as to the problem

<hr width=100% size=1>

jleaworthy

Visit site
You don't say how long it is idling before the effect is noticeable. My guess is that if the engine has got cold it is possible for her to stop firing on one cylinder either through low compression on that cylinder or through a fouled injector, or both. With my 2002 the effect is noticeable on startup when she always starts from cold on one cylinder with the other kicking in maybe ten seconds later. You should be able to tell from the sound and from the rev counter whether this is so. The simplest expedient would be to increase your idling revs up to about 1000 - any more and you'll get crunching noises from the gearbox.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Might be worth getting the injectors checked out. Two new injector nozzels would set you back about £95. I had the same problem did a decoke and reground the valves, fitted new valve rubber seals and a new head gasket and still it did not pick up the revs. Fitted two new injectors and now it runs smoother at tickover and revs up from 800 - 2500 revs instantly with no throttle lag.
You can usually get the injectors checked out for free at any injector supplier, see yellow pages for one near you.

Regards Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>