Volvo 130 4 Cyclinder Petrol Engine

No Regrets

Visit site
I beleive it was based on the old Volvo 240 series unit, possibly the 16 Valve version though.

In that guise, it was sound enough, and well built.

I guess all the usual Volvo vices apply, as it may be a quarter of a century old by now....

scottie

Visit site
aq130 4 cyl ohv 2 ltr engine twin carb

came as A B C D with a rare 100 drive but more likely 250 270or 280 drive
rawwater cooled
what more do youneed to know

No Regrets

Visit site
Wow, that must be the old 121 S Amazon unit then!

Old but sound...

Shamby is at Thames and Kennet marina! We end up 10 miles each side most Sundays /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phill

Visit site
The AQ130's were overhead valve engines used in the Volvo Amazons and a few very early 144 models. I have years of experience of working on Volvo car engines and always found these engines to be strong and reliable due to their simplicity.
I have two in my princess and removed and stripped them last winter. They had done 1600 hours in 29 years and once in pieces, it was clear very little wear had taken place. I didn't have any difficulty in finding bearings, rings, gaskets or any other parts needed.
One problem I have had is that the heat exchangers can rust through and allow cooling water to escape into number four (rearmost) combustion chamber.

Lots of info at www.marineengine.com and go onto the "discussion board" and Volvo Penta Gas.

Rich_S

Visit site
Keypart in Watford are good for parts if required.

Satisfied customer is all!

Used to have one in Birchwood 22 thought it was a 2.4 block? As said overhead cam and twin carbs on mine. Used to get through a few sets of contactors but I believe you can get a breakerless ignition kit.

Rich.

ms1

Visit site
Keypart for parts (you prob wont need any other than points)
Maybe get electonic ignition kit.
take a look at the main power connection block (looks like a giant fuse connection) which usually sits in thepower supply beside the engine or close to the starter motor. These often get brittle with age and then just crumble without any notice stopping the engine.
Unless recent I'd be inclined to change all HT leads to be sure of a good spark.
Good engine

BarryH

Visit site
"Used to have one in Birchwood 22 thought it was a 2.4 block?".....it'll be the B23 engine whish is a 2.3.

Motor factors for the usual engine parts. The solex PAI's are no longer produced, neither are the bits for them. Main gripe with the solex's is spindle wear. You can get around this by bushing them out. Thats what I had to do. If they are well passed it then source a manifold from an early twin carb'd car and use Stromberg CD175's

I picked up an exhaust manifold for my 145 from the states for 185 quid. A massive saving over the price quoted by British suppliers AND it arrived in 4 days.

alruss

Visit site
I have, in use two, b20 engines both run well. One is original and 40 years old. They are
very reliable, very simple construction and bullet proof. Spares available from many
suppliers. Take approx one day to rebuild from parts. Do not be put off by age as they wear very well, both my engines are still standard size pistons, big ends and main bearings.

Opsguy1979

Visit site
Thanks guys for the advice and sorry for the slow response. I managed to get out on the boat in the nice weather for once. Seems like this new boat could be an option.