Volvo 120s saildrive - Any alternative oil?

Gubbo

www.sailpast.co.uk
I have a six year old 120S saildrive bolted to a penta 2003 engine. I want to change the oil but, with 2.8 litres needed, I am seeking to avoid the Volvo Penta wallet squeeze,

The plate specifies sythetic oil.
I have some remnants of original penta stuff and the tub states "Synthetic gear Oil" to GL-5 75-90 grade.

I can find oil to the exact GL spec and grade, but only in semi-synthetic. (Duckhams, Halfords etc)

Has anyone used these alternatives? Or can it be that Volvo actually manufacture a very special oil themselves? (doubtful)

Your advice would be much appreciated.

allanc

Visit site
For the 110S saildrive, Volvo are happy to use the same oil as they suggest for the engine. Perhaps this may also apply to yours? Check the spec? Just a thought.

Gubbo

www.sailpast.co.uk
Thanks Allanc.
You're quite correct that the earlier saildrives used engine oil. The thing is mine has a manufacturer's plate on the unit instructing me to use synthetic gear oil only. This was emphasised by the previous owner who had had the new saildrive fitted.

I fully appreciate that I may simply have to buy the VP stuff and play safe....but it goes against the grain a bit (and the price difference is quite significant).

cheers Gubbo

chrisc

Visit site
I did have one fail through using engine oil rather than synthetic.This was after a good many hours down the french canals.The saildrive was filled with normal oil at volvo agents insistence and only after it failed was a label found specifying synthetic.(under the rear of drive) .It stripped the mainshaft gears.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
I also have a 120 S drive. I look at it this way - the Volvo gearbox oil lasts two seasons if there has been no contamination through breakdown of the seals - this is because synthetics have more stamina than mineral! So the annual cost is halved vs mineral oil derivatives.

I also take the view that refurbishing a damaged S leg costs a lorra money, so am prepared to invest to reduce this risk.

I then source the correct Volvo oil from the good folks at Keypart of Watford 01923 330570 - who nicely shave the exhorbitant Volvo markup, just for us! (they also source all the other bits you need up to and including propellers and are a mine of info - wow!)

Finally, you will see that engine oil of all types is a lot cheaper on the Continent, so when you're there, get a few cans for your car as well as your beloved boat.

PWG