Viviers, Rhone PK166

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Viviers is an excellent Rhone stop, near Montelimar. http://www.french-waterways.com/waterways/rhone.html
Unfortunately, it (the port!) is planned to be closed for 2015, for dredging work (it always was fairly shallow). The pontoons have been raised and the electricity and water turned off.
Preparatory work has started, so as of now I think it safe to say it is out of operation. Whether it will actually take the entire year to dredge and return to service must be debatable, but that's the current story.
Cruas, PK145, is the nearest alternative. I haven't personally been in there but plenty of good reports.

In passing, www.french-waterways.com has recently had a comprehensive revamp. In addition, well-known waterways expert and author David Edwards-May is currently updating and expanding all the 150+ Practical Navigation pages (i.e canals, rivers and guidance) based on his Imray book 'Inland Waterways of France'. All the uniquely detailed and authoritative (and expanded) information will remain free-to-view.

Last edited:

Vortex

Visit site
i tried to get into Viviers last week, all the pontoons were raised and there was a distinct lack of water under the boat. it appears outwardly that they are more interested in getting the large hotel boats sorted out on the outside wall. We ended up in a really small marina at PK 214 in L'Ardoise

Wino

Visit site
Replying from UK so don't have actual figure to hand.
But, watch depth in Cruas, we were unable to enter. From memory I think 1.5
L'Ardoise OK but too far from shops etc.

John_d_Smith

Visit site
Cruas is lovely, we called in there a couple of years ago. The marina is modern, well equipped and very welcoming. I would recommend walking from the marina up into the town, There's an old part of town that is well worth a visit. Only a small town but a nice break between Avignon and Valence.