Vivacity 20 painting

G

I am tarting up a Vivacity 20.

The hull seems in reasonable condition with a few small scratches above the waterline. I have power washed off most of the anti fouling below the waterline.

The boat will be grounded between tides so will spend more time dry than wet.

What do I do next? Which paints are best to go for above and below the waterline. Bearing in mind my minimal budget.

Where can I get the paint cheaply either online/mail order or locally (north devon)

G

I would only paint the top-sides as a last resort but if you have to I would suggest 2-pack international polyurethane. It has to go on in very thin coats, has to be mixed correctly and as with all painting the key to success is preparation. If you use it correctly you can get some excellent results. Don't paint in poor conditions such as cold or damp or dusty. Under the water you need a proper underwater paint, be careful what you use if there is still residue of old paint - probabaly something like international keel and anti-fouling primer would be good. I'd be tempted to clean it all back to bare gel-coat and put on some epoxy providing the hull is dry (you can hire a meter to test this). Be careful not to seal in any moisture! - Good luck!!!

G

I painted my Vivacity some years ago, topsides only, on a budget. Thoroughly clean the hull . Apply one coat of self-etching primer. I then gave the hull three coats of International Interlux, rubbed down lightly between coats. I finished over brushed strokes with a good paint-pad and the results were astounding. Lasted for several seasons. Tip.... use a paint as near to the original hull colour as possible.

G

Mayday, Mayday

Help!. I think my PC is giving birth!. Can't think why its a multiple one!.

G

Great boat! I am painting mine now. I bought Jotuns one pack polyurethane - didn't even need a primer or undercoat. Hull was blue, I'm painting white. Loads of sanding down first. Loads of coats. I'm spraying, but brush is OK. I would use the primer to go with it next time though. All well less than £40 with paint to spare - Get some proper thiiners too! Good Luck

G

It's the first time Rabbie has ever been known to tell a story unembellished more than once!!!!

G

Hope the anti-histamines worked John. Pity about the stammer!.Rab.