Visiting the bridge

janeK

Visit site
being a YM student and due to the many discussions of Colregs on the YM 'Scuttlebutt' I am wondering if I requested to the Captain of the P&O mini cruise to Bilbao that I will be travelling on in September, would I be allowed to visit the bridge? The reason being I am interested in seeing exactly how much you can actually see from a bridge of a large vessel with the naked eye with regard to yachts in comparison to radar when crossing a TSS for example?
I would ideally request 2 visits 1) During the day 2) Nighttime for obvious reasons
1) Would this be allowed - if so, would you advise that I write a letter to the Captain and leave it with the Customer service desk on embarcation?

If anyone could give me any pointers in the right direction I would appreciate it
I have posted this on the 'chart room' forum as well

Thanks

Jane

<hr width=100% size=1>Why does a slight tax increase cost you £200 and a substantial tax cut saves you £0.30?
JaneK

Oldhand

Visit site
We visited the bridge of the P.o.B. while rounding Ushant some years ago. We just asked at reception on board. I was slightly amused to find the same GPS receiver as I had on my boat installed on the bridge "under trial" but being ignored as it was warning that its back-up battery needed replacing! We were allowed to wander around up there for as long as we liked but it may be more difficult now for security reasons. No harm in putting in an early request as they may want you "vetted" in order to be able to comply now. However, new security rules may not permit it any more.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ubuysa

Visit site
I asked to visit the bridge of the P&O Dawn Princess two years ago on a Carribbean cruise and was told that bridge visits were not allowed due to "security concerns". Given the current security hype I suspect you'll meet with a similar response. Worth a try though. On most cruises the captain is pretty visible since "meeting and greeting" is usually one of his duties. I'd wait for one of these opportunities and ask him personally explaining why you want to visit. If you do it unoficially he might be more inclined to agree???

Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Oldhand

Visit site
Unfortunately the P.o.B. mini cruises are not the sort of voyages where the skipper performs social duties with the passengers, the ship is run very much as a ferry.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Asked the other day on a Condor Fastcat to St Malo and was told "it's simply not allowed these days." Might be worth writing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
I'd agree with this - I tried very hard to get onto the bridge of P&O's Oceana in the Caribbean in January, and got a total refusal from all concerned, albeit at lower officer level. Perhaps 'knobbling' the captain at one of his ship's walk arounds might get results.

Having failed myself, I was mortified to find a friend get permission to visit Oceanas bridge on a later cruise. The difference is that he has a current Gov't security clearance pass for his job.

It's all to do with 9/11

<hr width=100% size=1>

dieselhead

Visit site
on a recent rrip to and from st malo with P and O i noticed that they run a kids club which includes a visit to the bridge, perhapps you could disguise yourself as a 10 year old!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

janeK

Visit site
Good idea the height is not a problem but the wrinkles might be???

<hr width=100% size=1>Why does a slight tax increase cost you £200 and a substantial tax cut saves you £0.30?
JaneK

tico

Visit site
Re: Try writing to P&O

Just come back from a week on Windstar... (big clippers) They have an open bridge policy where you can go in whenever they are not docking.
SWMBO got fed up with me spending most evenings there!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Been there, done that, got the oily T shirt

cjc

Visit site
Re: Try writing to P&O

To Janek - I have just posted something in chartroom chat that may be of interest regarding bridge visits.

<hr width=100% size=1>