Virgo Voyager build date ?

Dockyard Doris

Visit site
Hi all, as this is the fountain of most (if not all) knowledge, I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what age my virgo voyager is ?
A recent(ish) survey says that the build date is unverified although the length of the coachroof confirms that it is an earlier version and the hull number is 4790.
Hope that someone out there can shed some light on my enigma.

steve6367

www.ybw.com
Hi all, as this is the fountain of most (if not all) knowledge, I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what age my virgo voyager is ?
A recent(ish) survey says that the build date is unverified although the length of the coachroof confirms that it is an earlier version and the hull number is 4790.
Hope that someone out there can shed some light on my enigma.

As said above, the date of manufacture is stamped in the transom top left or right, think mine was left. Fantastic boats, had years of fun from mine.

Seajet

Visit site
I think I have a late 1970's brochure; beware build quality on the rudder, some fell off of later boats built when the yard was going under; don't expect to make fast or even normal passage times, ie average speeds...

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
don't expect to make fast or even normal passage times, ie average speeds...

It's not fast, but not that slow, and you'll still have a lot of fun, and can luxuriate in the impressively spacious accommodation that some other small yacht owners (no names, no pack drill;)) miss out on.

I think I have a late 1970's brochure; beware build quality on the rudder, some fell off of later boats built when the yard was going under

Quality control on the later boats was indeed suspect, but this is an early one.:)

Seajet

Visit site
Little Sister,

we tried to sail in company with VV's a couple of times on legs such as Lyme Regis or Weymouth to Salcombe / Dartmouth, but even under reduced sail found it a bit of an ordeal; it was not that we were so stunningly quick, under reduced sail in F3 or less the Anderson 22 should be easy to pass, but certainly not by a Virgo Voyager even under full genoa and engine it seemed !

I've seen accounts of fin keeled VV's making respectable offshore passage times, so wonder if there's something about the twin keel versions which is draggier than one might expect ?

I don't remember palatial interiors either, or a separate loo ?

The deck layout was nearly very nice, but then the A22's coachroof is shaped like it is for a few reasons, low aerodynamic drag, sitting headroom inside without deep side decks to get one's neck around, and buoyancy in the same way as lifeboats have buoyant deckhouses.

The Hurley 22 has more room and is probably better looking than the Anderson, seaworthy too but won't punch into heavy weather as well as the A22.

I'm sure one can have a lot of fun with a twin keel Virgo Voyager as long as one's expectations are not too high, I just found her a symbol of Newbridge Boat's deeply cynical ' hook the newbies ' approach.

Seajet

Visit site
Ah, the cynical approach of making boats that people want to buy!;)

I take it it you're not familiar with the concept of ' Boat Show Boats ' then - these looked
very appealing to SWMBO or other inexperienced sailors when the thing is sat on a flat concrete floor, with non-gymballed cookers but plenty of comfy cushions - I remember a gay couple saying of their Newbridge Venturer " it won't go anywhere but it's got a lovely kitchen (sic ) ! "

Modern SWMBO's are a lot more clued up, so Newbridge boats score nul points from either sailors or their partners - of any gender.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
PBO said of the Virgo Voyager:
'Fairly well balanced on the beat, with just a touch of weather helm, she lacks a certain amount of grip, even in fin keel form, which means she makes more leeway than deeper keeled counterparts, and can be a shade directionally unstable downwind. Fairly stiff, thanks to a 50% ballast ratio. . . . As to build quality, boats from this stable sometimes suffered annoying defects, but the Virgo was apparently better put together than later boats like the Navigator. Indeed, one surveyor reckoned her to be the best built boat in the range with no obvious failings. . . . long production run. . . . 6ft headroom'

The A-Z Good Yacht Guide said:
'. . . . a useful family cruiser with plenty of room including headroom [especially later extended coachroof version]. . . . Very popular and with long production run. . . .'

Seajet

Visit site
I would question the ' 50% ballast ratio ' - any figures and which boats this applied to ?

I'd agree the Virgo Voyager must have been better built ( apart from later rudders ) than anything else they made but that's not exactly a recommendation, more damning with faint praise - remember how they went in the end, leaving buyers in the financial lurch.

Probably the best most seaworthy boat they flogged was the inherited Corribbee ( have the Newbridge brochure for that too ) - but it's microscopic inside, and rather slow - a better bet for a clued up sailor would have been a Hunter Europa.

nikc

Visit site
I would question the ' 50% ballast ratio ' - any figures and which boats this applied to ?

I'd agree the Virgo Voyager must have been better built ( apart from later rudders ) than anything else they made but that's not exactly a recommendation, more damning with faint praise - remember how they went in the end, leaving buyers in the financial lurch.

Probably the best most seaworthy boat they flogged was the inherited Corribbee ( have the Newbridge brochure for that too ) - but it's microscopic inside, and rather slow - a better bet for a clued up sailor would have been a Hunter Europa.

yes -50% ballast ratio

I have one of these - lots of fun. do I win any races? No - I don't enter any races.
It floats, it sails, I can stand up and walk about inside it, feels secure on the water, has a hob, has a loo...
easy single-handed.

what more do I want?

do other boats go faster - yes - so what. I am out sailing - what else matters
:)
I could afford it while I can not afford bigger things.

a nice blog by someone who sailed a Voyager a bit around the coast...
http://bills-log.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/bumper.html

cheers all

blackfish

open.academia.edu
yes -50% ballast ratio

I have one of these - lots of fun. do I win any races? No - I don't enter any races.
It floats, it sails, I can stand up and walk about inside it, feels secure on the water, has a hob, has a loo...
easy single-handed.

what more do I want?

do other boats go faster - yes - so what. I am out sailing - what else matters
:)
I could afford it while I can not afford bigger things.

a nice blog by someone who sailed a Voyager a bit around the coast...
http://bills-log.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/bumper.html

cheers all

Ditto ours, and for the same reasons.

Dockyard Doris

Visit site
Hi all, thanks for your information and comments. Mine is a fin keel and only got 4 berths with the toilet in a cupboard where half the 5th berth was. (The other half is more locker space). Don't know how she performs in the water yet as just finished replacing the anti-fouling and other little jobs before hoisting her in the water.

Tammany

Visit site
I've never had a Newbridge boat but nearly bought a navigator. I have to say I like the look of them all, they are smart looking boats. Maybe they are not quick but it's not being put over as a round the can boat. They were designed to get family's off of power boats and cruising round estuaries for a weekend away. If you like it and you get out and use it exploring your local waters in relative comfort then it's a great boat. Chap on the mooring next to me has the venturer and that gets used more than the ugly racing French things on the pontoons as they have huge keels restricting them.