Vibration/shake in Astern - Dufour 40

Ripster

Visit site
Marry Xmas all. I have recently acquired a 2007 Dufour 40. Very pleased with her overall, but one of the niggles is a shake that occurs when going astern at higher RPM . At lower revs it's fine, but starts to shake if you need higher revs. My suspicions are prop balance or perhaps damage to a blade? She is fine going forwards very smooth at all RPM. She has a sail drive with D2-55 Volvo and Volvo folding 3 blade prop. Anyone else had this with a Volvo folder or got any other suggestions?

Neeves

Visit site
Check the cleanliness of the prop.

Make sure all 3 prop blades open evenly and correctly.

If this was a permanent feature I would have expected it to be apparent during inspection and survey prior to sale/purchase. If these were conducted and correctly it sounds (feels) like something new which suggests nothing drastic. Might be a bit cold to make a quick swim.......

Jonathan

ashtead

Visit site
I wonder if anything wrong with the Volvo folder ? I might have that checked out fairly soon as a first step . It seems to me you might need someone like Paul who posts on here other another private engineer to listen as it could be the sail drive maybe ? Don’t be tempted to use main Volvo dealers though unless deep pockets backed on my experience of some well known Solent based ones.

jaypea

Visit site
Check the oil in the saildrive, not sure which unit you have on the D40 but some of them use ordinary engine oil........this was put into ours (in error) by a service engineer on our boat as he hadn’t checked the spec for our 120s which actually requires (expensive!) gear oil Everything worked fine in forward gear but sounded like a box of spanner’s in reverse........all okay once the oil was replaced.