vhf which one

pmorris

Visit site
I've got a very old fixed VHF which up until last week always worked ok, and has got me out of trouble occasionally. Now it recieves perfectly ok, but I cannot transmit. (Any advice welcome).
I also have a Swiftech M198 with 3 worn out batteries, which I imagine the cost of replacing the batteries would be as expensive as buying a new handheld.

I was thinking of buying a ICOM M31 and a 421 for the fixed, which aren't the cheapest or most expensive. But would be grateful for any advice or past experience.

Cheers Paul

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I fitted an ICOM M421 early this season and so far it has been excellent. It replaced a Silva S15 which is to be avoided like the plague IMHO.
(If the old sets weren't DSC you will have to upgrade the boat licence and the operator's licence.)

graham

Visit site
Before ditching your Fixed vhf check its getting the correct voltage.Wiring may have corroded a bit at the terminals giving enough to receive but not to send.

G

M198\'s ....

You can replace the AA cells inside if you are careful with a knife etc. - but often the charge control board in the battery case is shot as well.

If you do replace the hand-held .... please pm me as I am interested in the top part of the Swiftechs to alter to a semi fixed use ...

??

As regards fixed VHF station .... as someone else said check power going in - you may have bad contacts that allow enough power to rcv but not to transmit ....

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Have been looking at Standard Horizon VM3500E simply because it offers a separate all singing waterproof fist microphone which can be installed near the tiller - I'm convinced that I'll break my neck one day when rushing down the companionway to clear a DSC alarm.

jrt

Visit site
Get an ICOM (DSC of course ) with a command mike. Radio goes down below at nav table and command mike in the cockpit. Command mike can change channels, volume, squelch etc and is waterproof (so far, and boy has it been tested).

Only niggle is that you can't cancel a DSC alert with the command mike.

PaulJ

Visit site
It might be worth finding out just what is wrong with your existing set before you shell out your hard earned readies..... The most common fault when a vhf will receive but not transmit is corrosion somewhere in the antenna feeder and if you have a plug connector where it goes through the deck, the problem will almost certainly be that. Could you beg borrow or steal a new antenna which you could just plug directly into the antenna socket on the transceiver? If it still doesn't transmit then there may well be a more serious problem but do check the antenna before doing anything else.

Paul.