VHF Question

derekgillard

Visit site
I have a fixed DSC VHF on the boat with my call sign licence etc.
I now also have a hand held VHF which I often listen in at home (we live close to the beach) my question is should I want to transmit on my hand held when it’s away from the boat what do I use as my call sign., the name of the boat ???
I’m sure there is a simple answer to this question.

delbuoy

derekgillard

Visit site
VHF

Interesting I did not know that.

I live on Hayling and a couple of years ago a small yacht came close to shore and shouted for help, I called the coastguard on 999. Had I had the hand held I would have used that.

At least now I know.

Seajet

Visit site
However not knowing this tends to infer that you haven't done the ( simple, quick ) course and exam ? If not this would be worth doing, both to be legal and to know how to operate the kit to the required standard.

derekgillard

Visit site
VHF

Yes I did the course 10 years ago and use the on board VHF in the correct manner so no concern there, I only asked the hand held question and don't recall it being on the course agenda.

Mind you I am 10 years older and the old mem is not so good.

ianat182

Visit site
Perhaps use" "BOATNAME Mobile" as your callsign, after all thats what its for and links to your other authorised radio.
I expect you declared it on the MCA application for your MMSI number for the main set any way so' Known' as a handheld there.
I have an old Swiftech for just this purpose which I declared as above to the MCA and use this method for mine.

ianat182

st599

Visit site
Perhaps use" "BOATNAME Mobile" as your callsign, after all thats what its for and links to your other authorised radio.
I expect you declared it on the MCA application for your MMSI number for the main set any way so' Known' as a handheld there.
I have an old Swiftech for just this purpose which I declared as above to the MCA and use this method for mine.

ianat182

Errr, No! The station on the boat is already a mobile station (Mobile has a legal definition). No phraseology makes what the OP is discussing legal.

Solitaire

Visit site
I have a fixed DSC VHF on the boat with my call sign licence etc.
I now also have a hand held VHF which I often listen in at home (we live close to the beach) my question is should I want to transmit on my hand held when it’s away from the boat what do I use as my call sign., the name of the boat ???
I’m sure there is a simple answer to this question.

delbuoy

You can apply to Ofcom for a portable license with a T number which allows you to use a H/H anywhere . However it is should be used only in a marine environment such as on another vessel .

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
The laws preventing use of marine bands on land are clearly there to protect abuse of the radio band by non-marine use inland and not to stop you using in a genuine marine emergency. As said above, to use your VHF to alert coastguard to a genuine mayday would unlikely be looked upon as abuse. Indeed if you were in possession of a VHF and no phone but did nothing, it would surely be negligent and I'm quite sure no mariner would do nothing upon witnessing someone in trouble. I'd rather get a ticking off from Ofcom than have someone's sinking and perhaps life on my conscience.

In many ways the use of the VHF instead of a 999 call could be seen as preferable in that it allows other nearby vessels to be alerted more quickly - the 999 call being only heard by you and the operator. A nearby vessel hearing the call may be in position to offer assistance via coastguard and avert a tragedy.

The only issue/problem I can see, is how you determine from the shore what the nature of the 'emergency' is - as I can envisage a case of someone attracting attention to ask directions from a local to the nearby pub/jetty! :eek: (Not sure the coastguard would view such an alert favourably however the call was made... :rolleyes:)