VHF on non tidal Thames

ADLS

Visit site
And I did mine at Bisham...

Sierra oscar delta india delta India.

It also comes in very handy talking to Barclays bank call station in India and booking flight tickets by phone.

Found that VHF was mostly used on the Thames to wish other boaters Happy Birthday and when were they taking the ballons in??????????????????

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
No, B1 would take his message to the telegraph office where the Marconi company Radio Officer would send it using the spark-gap transmitter....:D
From my family album ........ :D

588.jpg

Lots I could tell you about radio coms on merchant ships before the advent of the small (but perfectly formed !) transistor !

Anyone with an interest may find this site interesting: Marine Radio Museum

Apart from possibly Byron, I wonder how many other forumites can still manage this from memory - although maybe not as fast as I used to ! :D

553.jpg

ADLS

Visit site
Raymond Baxter

When the Thames Dunkirk fleet went down/up river to/from a reunion, a radio channel would be nominated. Raymond would call up the fleet and suggest that he would make one call to the Thames Barrage for permission to pass through.

A PLA officer guest speaker at one of ADLS dinners remarked how he looked forward to recieving Raymonds message each year. He also said how he wished other fleets would do the same.

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Can anyone recommend somewhere to do a course? not to far from Hungerford or Oxford would be good but not essential.

Mark, if you find a course on this (i.e. western) side of Oxford I'll come with you. If you like.

Don't tell anyone, I'm a radio ham too - G7HEU aka M0HEU.

ThamesBoater

Visit site

Ramage

Visit site
I can highly recommend Bisham's VHF SRC course. As a Radio Amateur you will find it very light on technical content, being mainly a course on procedures.

73 DE M0LHR. :D