VHF inland

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Idle curiousity really, driven by having bought a h/held VHF at the LBS, and being unable to use it until next afloat...

...are the marine VHF channels used for any purpose inland? If a buddy and I were to be chatting away on a public correspondence channel, lets say in the middle of the Oxfordshire countryside, would we be a) committing a sin, or b) interfering with any less sinful users?

G

The marine channels are just that. They have no other allocation - in the UK at least. The only sin you might be guilty of is operating without a certificate of competence and authority to operate (the operator's licence) and your ship's licence.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I do not know how the rules are in the UK, but in many other countries you are not considered to be "sailing" if you are not in the water.

That means that if your boat is out of the water for, say, antifouling painting, and you want to test your vhf you find yourself in an illegal position.
Wander what they d say if you are aground at low tide, sailing or not sailing?

Landlubber

Visit site
I suppose the point is really that if people started using Marine VHF on land like mobile phones, then pretty soon the channels in coastal regions would be jammed and nobody in inland waters would be able to get a message through. Sorry to be fuddy duddy, but it's a case of what do you really want it for? Would you rather it worked well on land or at sea? For land use you can get cheap 446 MHz Transceivers which don't need a licence.
:cool:

robp

Visit site
Haven't got the guff here but I recall that the license is issued to a vessel and even if you have a separate licence or endorsement for a handheld, it is for communication with that or other vessels.

I think that there is a specific license which is granted under certain circumstance for shorebased stations. Unlikely in say Northampton! Unless it's to Terry Wogan's "Northampton Lighthouse"

alant

Visit site
It would be illegal under the Telecommunication legislation to use your VHF when not on the water. Even if you use your handheld on a shore pontoon to call your 'mother' vessel, this is technically illegal. Ther must be a line drawn, or like some places in the caribbean, we'll be using Ch16 to order a taxi etc.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
You would certainly committing a sin, Marine VHF is only legal whilst afloat, with a Certificate of Competence and Licence for the radio. The only time it's permitted ashore is for Marina's and Clubs where a special licence is required.
As far as using "Public Correspondance" channels, you wont be able to speak to each other anyway, as these are Duplex channels, ie the vessel transmit and recieve frequencies are different. The coastal station transmits on the vessels recieve freq. and recieves on the vessels transmit freq. That's why vessels use "Ship to Ship" channels.
The problem with using VHF on land is that it would probably soon get out of hand and then it would be useless when afloat, too many people clogging up the airways.
Hope this answers your questions.
Safe boating,
Brian

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Idle curiosity

Following on with this VHF theme, I am curious to find out if there are many prosecutions for not having a license and if so how do they knick 'em?

JamesS

Visit site
Re: Idle curiosity

I'm interested too- I've always begrudged the £20 or so a year, for what?

If they are 'protecting the airwaves' just how many prosecutions are there or are we just paying for a couple of newsletters each year?

Cheers

mtb

Visit site
The yard that I got the tug from has to pay extra for their shore based radio's and as I understood it per channel that they use, something like £200.00 and over per year.
They were checked a few years ago then the bloke went along the moorings up stream to see if other boats had aerials and if licences were on the boats
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

robp

Visit site
Re: Yes, there are prosecutions

Certainly seen them trudging round Chi Marina. Seem to remember that they used students.