Vetus windscreen wipers

Cspirit

Visit site
I've also posted this on the Motor Boat Form but I'm hoping there will be some experience of this here.

I have a Vetus windscreen wiper on my LM27 which has a splined axle - I think Vetus call this a 'knurled shaft' - on the motor onto which the wiper arm is attached. This wiper arm has fallen off a couple of times and there appears to be wear on the splines/shaft (it is nearly 40 years old after all!). I'm thinking of using Locktite 271 to ensure that the wiper arm stays in place. Will this work? I know that this is a thread lock but I'm, guessing that the knurled shaft resembles a fine thread.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Vetus wiper arms/motors are a little odd, the shaft is splined, the the wiper arm isn't, it's all just held together with a grub screw (or not as the case may be). I had to replace an old wiper motor on my boat and the Vetus ones look to be a perfect copy (except for being 2 speed), while i was at it i replaced all of the wiper arms with Vetus stainless steel one (about £500 for 3 pantograph arms and blades !!). Anyway, the arm kept coming loose on the new motor, no matter how tight a did the grub screw up, so i smeared the shaft with fast epoxy (al la Araldite Rapid etc), plus a little in the arm socket and did the screw up as tight as i dare. Touch wood, not come looses since.

Last edited:

Supertramp

Visit site
A bit of a tangent, but use a water repellent treatment on your windows. Makes the water bead and run off. Not an alternative to a wiper but a big help.

I have a Vetus wiper and replaced it because the wiper and splines had fused together, corroded badly and was well past an Araldite solution.

Keith-i

Visit site
I found Roca wiper arms from asap supplies fit the splined spindle on my Vetus motors. They clamp on with an Allen headed bolt rather than just a grub screw so a more robust connection.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Visit site
Vetus wiper arms/motors are a little odd, the shaft is splined, the the wiper arm isn't, it's all just held together with a grub screw (or not as the case may be). I had to replace an old wiper motor on my boat and the Vetus ones look to be a perfect copy (except for being 2 speed), while i was at it i replaced all of the wiper arms with Vetus stainless steel one (about £500 for 3 pantograph arms and blades !!). Anyway, the arm kept coming loose on the new motor, no matter how tight a did the grub screw up, so i smeared the shaft with fast epoxy (al la Araldite Rapid etc), plus a little in the arm socket and did the screw up as tight as i dare. Touch wood, nor come looses since.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I've also posted this on the Motor Boat Form but I'm hoping there will be some experience of this here.

I have a Vetus windscreen wiper on my LM27 which has a splined axle - I think Vetus call this a 'knurled shaft' - on the motor onto which the wiper arm is attached. This wiper arm has fallen off a couple of times and there appears to be wear on the splines/shaft (it is nearly 40 years old after all!). I'm thinking of using Locktite 271 to ensure that the wiper arm stays in place. Will this work? I know that this is a thread lock but I'm, guessing that the knurled shaft resembles a fine thread.
Similar on my LM27 - dont know if its Vetus, but when wiper stops moving but motor turns I dont relish getting out of comfy cabin to stand on heaving deck in torrential rain and do the securing bit up again