Vathy port police warning

grafozz

Visit site
here they go again;A ban on delinquency for illegal chartering was imposed, yesterday evening, on the Iona Ferry boat "NONNA TENNA", a flag of Italy, with six (06) foreign occupants, in Ithaca. In particular, during an inspection carried out by officers of the Port Authority of Ithaca at the port of Vateos, it was found that a total charter agreement had been concluded between the master and his owners above board for the period from 14-07-2018 to 21-07-2018 with a port of embarkation and permanent disembarkation at the port of Lefkada and for this reason the amount of eleven thousand thirty-eight (11,238) of Zoltas of Poland, ie two thousands of seven hundred and forty-five euros (2.745 €), without the vessel possessing the license required by Law 4256/2014 and without being equipped with the required statutory pleasure boat. From the Port of Ithaca, in the framework of the implementation of the above Law and Article 414 of the Civil Code, the detention of Nina TENNA was forbidden, while the procedure for imposing the administrative and penal sanctions was initiated. Πηγή: www.inkefalonia.gr

Hardmy

Visit site
It won't be me to complain about it.

PP in Gythion seems also very keen to clamp down on illegal charter in the Laconian Gulf.

And this is not only based on hearsay. When I was there last week, they arrested a french yacht with a family of 4 on board because they found out that they did not borrow the yacht for free. They were not allowed to leave until paying a fine of € 15.000!

I know a couple D/F of boats who take guests for amounts way higher (even putting numbers online) than the usual contribution to the boat kitty. Me wondering where the PP draws the line...

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
It won't be me to complain about it.

PP in Gythion seems also very keen to clamp down on illegal charter in the Laconian Gulf.

And this is not only based on hearsay. When I was there last week, they arrested a french yacht with a family of 4 on board because they found out that they did not borrow the yacht for free. They were not allowed to leave until paying a fine of € 15.000!

I know a couple D/F of boats who take guests for amounts way higher (even putting numbers online) than the usual contribution to the boat kitty. Me wondering where the PP draws the line...

Yes, we were there a few weeks ago. About 2-3 Port Police appeared within minutes of every yacht arrival. Usually different guys each time, giving different advice. One lot saying to go to local authority and pay in morning before you leave, next lot asking why you haven't already paid. We had paid and even made certain it covered the weekend as the office was closed. Surprised when the lady thanked us for our honesty in saying we'd pay for Sat. & Sunday. Port Police came around in the pouring rain and wanted to take a copy of our receipt to photocopy. It was returned about 30 minutes later but a little soggy. Perhaps they wanted to frame it because nobody paid at the weekend. The Italians next to us told Port Police they were going to the office later to pay before leaving the next day and then legged it 30 minutes later.

We did see several old boats further along the quay and were told they had been impounded for people smuggling. I didn't get confirmation from Port Police. However, another was towed into the outer harbour before we left. It was a mess and there were several inflated lorry inner tubes on deck and in the cockpit. Seemed reasonable that it was involved in people smuggling.

I expect that's why the Port Police are so active there. Of course the people turning up in the port and paying fees are probably least likely to be sneaking people into Greece (at least on that particular day :D).

Last edited: